Hello, new LX470 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, everybody. I am new here, or really, I was here back when I had an LX450 like 14 years ago, and I am back, this time with an LX470. I just purchased a 2001 with about 215k miles, white exterior, tan interior. I'll be towing this behind a motorhome for various excursions, and I hope to get some fun overlanding in with it. The LX is bone stock right now, with the exception of AHC-delete.

My plans are to replace the junk suspension they put in it (I have never driven a softer or more sway-prone vehicle) with something to lift it a couple inches and a much more appropriate stiffness and damping, bigger tires, upgraded bumpers, etc. I have absolutely no idea what to get for this, so any suggestions are greatly welcome. I will have to strike a balance of function and cost.

There are a couple other things I'll need to address, like the steering wheel (previous owner for some reason put on a RX330 wheel) and an air-bag light (might be related to the wrong wheel). I am coming from a 2008 Toyota Tundra (crewmax, 5.7, limited) which has been a great vehicle, but 2WD and more difficult to flat-tow. The truck has given me a great 13 years, but I'll be parting ways with that once I am certain the LX is a keeper.

Anyway, I am looking forward to engaging in this community!

Welcome!

Thanks for the info. I really have no idea what they put in the place of the AHC. While I have purchased the LX, I don't have it back at home just yet. When I do, I'll get under it and get some pics and start a new thread, and hopefully someone here can help identify what's there. Maybe there's just something wrong about the deletion of the AHC that can be easily remedied with a few choice parts.

Thanks for the info. I really have no idea what they put in the place of the AHC. While I have purchased the LX, I don't have it back at home just yet. When I do, I'll get under it and get some pics and start a new thread, and hopefully someone here can help identify what's there. Maybe there's just something wrong about the deletion of the AHC that can be easily remedied with a few choice parts.
That's very likely. There is a Strutmasters kit that, IMO, should be pulled from their catalog and is ripe for (or perhaps already the target of) a lawsuit. It involves replacing the front and rear shocks and rear springs, leaving only the AHC springs (torsion bars) up front. That's a recipe for disaster as the spring rate is about 40% off. Dangerously off.

If you see a strutmaster logo, or if you can provide the diameter of the torsion bar we can probably help ID what you have. Pics are always welcome.

Good luck!

That's very likely. There is a Strutmasters kit that, IMO, should be pulled from their catalog and is ripe for (or perhaps already the target of) a lawsuit. It involves replacing the front and rear shocks and rear springs, leaving only the AHC springs (torsion bars) up front. That's a recipe for disaster as the spring rate is about 40% off. Dangerously off.

If you see a strutmaster logo, or if you can provide the diameter of the torsion bar we can probably help ID what you have. Pics are always welcome.

Good luck!
@suprarx7nut , I measured the torsion bars, and they are 1-inch. The rear springs say "Made in USA 32". The truck feels a bit unstable, especially on turns.

tempImage54awju.png

tempImage4lYjCY.png

No worries. I have ordered some sway-a-way torsion bars.

BTW whoever deletes AHC left everything else in place, and I have hydraulic fluid dripping at each corner. 🤯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom