Hello - I've left the Range (rover) behind and will now proceed to explore the Land (cruiser) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to introduce myself as per the welcome instructions for Newbies to this fabulous forum.

It was difficult, but I finally sold my 93 RRC (on Ebay) and purchased my first TLC (on Ebay).

Been working on restoration of a 93 RRC SWB for nearly 7 years. I really did all I could, it was always something new - learned a LOT, poured sweat, some tears and not a small amount of actual Blood in the process. When it sold, it was running the very best it ever had during the time I owned it - gave it a final hour long sandbar romp to say goodbye........

And Now: I've purchased a 1994 FZJ80 from a shop in Philly and it should be delivered in 3-5 days or so.

Once I get it, I'll post a few pics.

I very much look forward to learning what makes these 80's tick and reviewing all of the amazing info that I have just seen a sample of on this site so far.

Thanks - Shawn.

Mmmm 94 :) Good year. Cloth? Lockers? Details and pics :D

Mmmm 94 :) Good year. Cloth? Lockers? Details and pics :D

Hello! Let's see: Leather, Factory Diff Lockers (Yes!!! - is how I came up with my forum username), 191K, Dark Forest Green, well maintained, I'll be the 3rd owner, completely stock except for slightly larger than factory tires - supposed to be Zero modifications.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Great looking truck! Welcome!

I just hope you didnt buy it from that scammer on ebay in Philly- "european cars" , i think.

Thank you - I didn't purchase from the Seller you are thinking about - but still: fretting heavily about a sight unseen purchase of a 26 year old vehicle - hoping I am not getting (drive) Shafted. I'll know mid-week next week. Fingers crossed that I'm getting a good one.

Thank you - I didn't purchase from the Seller you are thinking about - but still: fretting heavily about a sight unseen purchase of a 26 year old vehicle - hoping I am not getting (drive) Shafted. I'll know mid-week next week. Fingers crossed that I'm getting a good one.

Any possible mechanical issues with the truck are relatively easy and cheap to take care of. The main thing you should be concerned about is rust. I generally completely ignore any car ads from north-east for that reason. There are still tons of rust-free 80's to be had in the south-west, so there is really no good reason to get into a loosing battle with rust if you plan to keep the truck long term.

Roger that - I got TONS of wrenching experience with my Rover and feel pretty confident of addressing just about anything. This truck is *supposed* to be virtually rust free per the Seller. Pics seem to prove that's true - but I am pretty certain I'll be able to find some rust - just hopefully not anywhere on the frame.

Welcome. I've heard that range and land rovers are a great start for those wanting to learn to wrench and a wheel. I've been told that after having one of those, you can fix anything. Never meet anyone with one that didn't know how to wrench so I think you will enjoy the Land Cruiser, but I you probably won't have as many wrenching opportunities unless you invent them like most of the people on here.

I hope it hasn't lived in Philly or the north east. I bought a truck that was in Chicago for 3 years and I will NEVER do that again!

The shine on that 80 is unreal! Congrats! Lets see some money shots of the engine and undercarriage!

Welcome. I've heard that range and land rovers are a great start for those wanting to learn to wrench and a wheel. I've been told that after having one of those, you can fix anything. Never meet anyone with one that didn't know how to wrench so I think you will enjoy the Land Cruiser, but I you probably won't have as many wrenching opportunities unless you invent them like most of the people on here.
Thanks - yes, the Rover was challenging, finicky and baffling. Lookin forward to learning about the Cruiser.

Wow, that looks incredible. Was it repainted?
Hi - the seller stated that hood and right rear QP were repainted. I know - finish looks almost new. Pix make it look nearly Black, but in other shots, you see that it's DEEP Green - I had 2000 Tundra that I believe might be this same color or very close.

The shine on that 80 is unreal! Congrats! Lets see some money shots of the engine and undercarriage!
Hi - thank you. She is a Shiner, for real. All these pics were provided by the Seller, not my own photos (but......SOON!). Here are a few more pics - the 2 of the undercarriage to me show some rust - but you guys know these Trucks very well - does the underside show rust that I should be alarmed about?
$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

I don't see any alarming rust. Paint looks like a complete respray to me.

Underhood (aluminum) suggests exposure to salt....but not bad.

Undercarriage is hard to determine (has been coated at some point). You have some oil leaks...no question about that, but where they are and how serious (or not) you'll just have to find out.

Right - I appreciate the quick assessment of the pics! According to Seller, truck has been in Philadelphia it's entire life, so I would assume it was subjected to road salt with regularity. I also saw the evidence of the oil leak(s). One of the first things I'll be looking at.

Right - I appreciate the quick assessment of the pics! According to Seller, truck has been in Philadelphia it's entire life, so I would assume it was subjected to road salt with regularity. I also saw the evidence of the oil leak(s). One of the first things I'll be looking at.

Oil leaks are common and to be expected on vehicles of this age. Some are easy fixes....others not so much. Vehicle is amazingly rust free considering where it lived. Must have been garaged most of the time for the paint to be that good.

Hopefully you'll have found a good vehicle to baseline and drive. No doubt it looks good on the outside.

Oil leaks are common and to be expected on vehicles of this age. Some are easy fixes....others not so much. Vehicle is amazingly rust free considering where it lived. Must have been garaged most of the time for the paint to be that good.

Hopefully you'll have found a good vehicle to baseline and drive. No doubt it looks good on the outside.
Agree - it would be abnormal to NOT have any weeping/leaks on a truck this age with 190K on the ODO. Seller indicated hood and one of the quarter panels was repainted - I can't tell from the pics - but it seems to have been completely repainted - otherwise, it truly must have been stored indoors like 90% of the time.

Thanks again - I am chompin' at the bit to get this thing into my shop.

Looks clean. There appears to be some minor surface rust—nothing alarming. Looks like it was sprayed with that rubberized undercoat. All in all, looks great, especially for a mid-atlantic truck.

I like the honest undercarriage photos, doesn't look like anyone tried to cover up rust.

Welcome to the club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom