Hello I’m a newbie 97 FZJ80 Florida (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently acquired a green 97 40th with a 4” lift and 35’s from a friend of mine who owned it for approx 6 years prior to that it has been tossed around shoot who knows maybe a prior member of this board owned it. Anyway it’s a piece of s*** and like any piece of s***s we dump our hard earned money into it expecting that you could off it to someone for a profit that never happens.

For me it was no profit mainly a financial loss. Intentions was to give it to my son in Ohio once I was done with the mechanical repairs that were/are required. The exwife doesn’t want a heap in the driveway. So now I’m knee deep in it. So far I’ve done a few tiny things to it.

Acquired vehicle: Mid February 2023
Replaced:
- Seat gears
- Power door actuators
- Antenna mast
- Front brakes
- Front Rotors
- Front hubs
- Front axles
- Front seals / axle seals
- Rear axle bearings/Seals
- Warn 9k

I will be replacing:
- Springs
- Shocks
- Diff gears 4.88’s
- T-case gears
- Brake hoses

I want to step down to a 3” lift rather than the 4” that’s on there. I figure 3” would work nicely since the current springs are crap anyway and sagging on one side. I have also welded patch panels on to the vehicle which I purchased locally. Remove those hideous flares and install the factory ones and convert the single carrier to a dual carrier to hold water and or fuel. I also want to modify the bumper so I can attach a basket to haul game. Also remove the sunroof and weld the sunroof hole shut. Eventually I would like to LS swap it and get it painted. Then drive it everywhere so I don’t need to drive my Super Duty everywhere.

I’m not a professional mechanic but I’ve worked on stuff as a kid and was an aircraft mechanic for a few years then after I retired I worked on lights and signs trucks for a few years.

0AAFFC5E-FC5C-49DA-90E0-1D3361939F09.jpeg

Welcome 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

Welcome!

We'll help spend your money!

Welcome to MUD !!

The truck looks good. Now it time to get it on the trail. Any road trips planned?

Welcome to MUD !!

The truck looks good. Now it time to get it on the trail. Any road trips planned?
Eventually yes I’d like to go anywhere once. I can tow the rig long distances with my truck if need be. Where I’m at in FL there isn’t many crazy technical trails. Back home in Hawaii we had had some pretty good trails that’s are actually either old ranch roads or WW2 roads but that was almost 30 years ago and I don’t see myself going back anytime soon since they pretty much don’t allow suppressors and SBR’s there lol.
The dude I got the truck from said that is an off road area in TN in his town. I’d probably check that place out sometime after I get the gears and stuff installed. I should be mechanically done by mid summer.

Thanks for the welcome. I haven’t been on a message board in years. Now I have something else to occupy my time with.

I recently acquired a green 97 40th with a 4” lift and 35’s from a friend of mine who owned it for approx 6 years prior to that it has been tossed around shoot who knows maybe a prior member of this board owned it. Anyway it’s a piece of s*** and like any piece of s***s we dump our hard earned money into it expecting that you could off it to someone for a profit that never happens.

For me it was no profit mainly a financial loss. Intentions was to give it to my son in Ohio once I was done with the mechanical repairs that were/are required. The exwife doesn’t want a heap in the driveway. So now I’m knee deep in it. So far I’ve done a few tiny things to it.

Acquired vehicle: Mid February 2023
Replaced:
- Seat gears
- Power door actuators
- Antenna mast
- Front brakes
- Front Rotors
- Front hubs
- Front axles
- Front seals / axle seals
- Rear axle bearings/Seals
- Warn 9k

I will be replacing:
- Springs
- Shocks
- Diff gears 4.88’s
- T-case gears
- Brake hoses

I want to step down to a 3” lift rather than the 4” that’s on there. I figure 3” would work nicely since the current springs are crap anyway and sagging on one side. I have also welded patch panels on to the vehicle which I purchased locally. Remove those hideous flares and install the factory ones and convert the single carrier to a dual carrier to hold water and or fuel. I also want to modify the bumper so I can attach a basket to haul game. Also remove the sunroof and weld the sunroof hole shut. Eventually I would like to LS swap it and get it painted. Then drive it everywhere so I don’t need to drive my Super Duty everywhere.

I’m not a professional mechanic but I’ve worked on stuff as a kid and was an aircraft mechanic for a few years then after I retired I worked on lights and signs trucks for a few years.

View attachment 3277314
Do you know anyone in Central Florida who is comfortable installing a Dobbinsons lift on a GX ?

I’m not sure if you love that green machine or hate it…… Have you considered a late model jeep? All my friends say they don’t consume nearly as much of your time and money….

I’m not sure if you love that green machine or hate it…… Have you considered a late model jeep? All my friends say they don’t consume nearly as much of your time and money….
They were baiting you! Heeps suck nothing but money!!!😜

Hey Kaleo77,

I'm genuinely impressed by your dedication and passion for this vehicle. From the repairs and replacements you've listed, it's clear this car is going to shine in your hands. I've had similar experiences with car repairs, and while they can be challenging at times, the feeling of accomplishment when you sort out an issue is priceless. Looking forward to seeing your finished work and hearing more about your adventures!

Best of luck, and can't wait for your updates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom