Hello i currently own 1991 LJ78 prado with 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2.4 lt turbocharched motor recently I have noticed the fuel consumption is high loosing 100 km per fill up also noticed oil leak on the bottom of my turbo and the intake hoses to the throttle intake have to add 1 ltre of oil for every 1000ks also my oil pressure gage not reading it sits at the low but the truck runs ok .is anyone can suggest what to do here are these issue related to each other my body suggests it's a turbo failure . Thanks

Also, see if you can get one of the moderators to move this thread to the 70-series tech section, this area is for 90-series Toyotas rather than 1990’s Toyotas. You’ll get a lot more input that way.

2.4 lt turbocharched motor recently I have noticed the fuel consumption is high loosing 100 km per fill up also noticed oil leak on the bottom of my turbo and the intake hoses to the throttle intake have to add 1 ltre of oil for every 1000ks also my oil pressure gage not reading it sits at the low but the truck runs ok .is anyone can suggest what to do here are these issue related to each other my body suggests it's a turbo failure . Thanks

I feel like a doctor who's patient has come in after 30 years away...with 30 years worth of problems...haha

High fuel consumption can be many things. Dragging brakes, low tire pressure, different driving routine, or engine efficiency problems (needs repair/tuneup).

Oil leaking in the intake of these trucks is usually related to the crank breather which feeds in right before the turbo. The oil mist builds up in the intake tract and leaks out at all the hose couplings. These engines are notorious for this problem. Many owners install 'catch cans', or vent the crank case ventilation to atmosphere (hose to under truck) to reduce oil in the intake.

There is a possibility your turbo is worn out and the seals are allowing oil past into your intake. Remove the compressor inlet hose (big one) from the turbo so you can inspect it. Move the shaft side/side and in/out. How much does it move? Ideally you should remove the dump pipe and look for oil there also.

Oil consumption could be related to failed turbo seals. Or oil leaks, or lots of blow-by from a worn engine. Valve seals also, but the 2LTE isn't known to have a problem with them.

Low oil pressure is a real concern and usually indicative of failing bearings in the engine. It could also be a failing oil pressure sender. Is this a new problem?

How long have you had this truck? What work have you done to it over the years? Did all of these problems start at once?

I feel like a doctor who's patient has come in after 30 years away...with 30 years worth of problems...haha

High fuel consumption can be many things. Dragging brakes, low tire pressure, different driving routine, or engine efficiency problems (needs repair/tuneup).

Oil leaking in the intake of these trucks is usually related to the crank breather which feeds in right before the turbo. The oil mist builds up in the intake tract and leaks out at all the hose couplings. These engines are notorious for this problem. Many owners install 'catch cans', or vent the crank case ventilation to atmosphere (hose to under truck) to reduce oil in the intake.

There is a possibility your turbo is worn out and the seals are allowing oil past into your intake. Remove the compressor inlet hose (big one) from the turbo so you can inspect it. Move the shaft side/side and in/out. How much does it move? Ideally you should remove the dump pipe and look for oil there also.

Oil consumption could be related to failed turbo seals. Or oil leaks, or lots of blow-by from a worn engine. Valve seals also, but the 2LTE isn't known to have a problem with them.

Low oil pressure is a real concern and usually indicative of failing bearings in the engine. It could also be a failing oil pressure sender. Is this a new problem?

How long have you had this truck? What work have you done to it over the years? Did all of these problems start at once?

Yes its 30 years old truck with 207ks it's I have it for 2 years now according to previous owner glow plugs timing belt and injector pump was changed at170k since I purchased the only issue is first(cold ) start would gives me lots of black and white smoke and idle rough until it warms up
But recently noticed theese issues the oil pressure gauge was noticed while driving on highway it was fluctuating up and down to halfway to the low the next day it just completely stuck at 0 does this mean anything to experts this is my first import diesel I have owned the ford 250.350 power stroke diesel before non of this happened to me thanks for all of you to the attention iam starting to love this chat

Yes its 30 years old truck with 207ks it's I have it for 2 years now according to previous owner glow plugs timing belt and injector pump was changed at170k since I purchased the only issue is first(cold ) start would gives me lots of black and white smoke and idle rough until it warms up
But recently noticed theese issues the oil pressure gauge was noticed while driving on highway it was fluctuating up and down to halfway to the low the next day it just completely stuck at 0 does this mean anything to experts this is my first import diesel I have owned the ford 250.350 power stroke diesel before non of this happened to me thanks for all of you to the attention iam starting to love this chat

Shoulda stuck with the good 'ol powerstroke, ahha. ;)

Well, the good news is sounds like the sender is probably the problem; or a bad electrical connector there abouts. It's on the back of the block on the turbo side (picture below). This is better than bearing issues!

These engines do start well when the glow system (and engine) are in good shape. Takes a bit to get them there... I can describe how to test it in more detail if youw ant. Also, don't pay attention to the 'glow' light. Instead listen for the relay opening about 7 sec after you turn the key to 'on'. Or just wait 7 sec if you can't hear it. If compression is an issue, you can do two glows. On for 7 seconds, off for 1, back on for 7 seconds, then start.

OilSender.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom