Hello. I bought a blown up LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I've been cruising this site for years looking at info, but I finally took the plunge and got spousal blessing for a new project so yesterday I drug home this lovely 1998 LX470 with a seized engine. I have had my eye on LC's for a while, my buddy built a sweet LS powered 60 series. I test drove a LX470 a couple years ago and fell in love with the cushy ride and comfortable interior. Almost bought a nice one last winter, but my wife had a fit at the cost but then this fell into my lap only being 4 blocks away from my house. Previous owner forgot to refill the crankcase after doing an oil change and seized it up. I have some marvel oil + ATF in the cylinders trying to free it up, mostly so I can get the torque converter off the flex plate when I yank the engine. I really do not want to pull the trans at the same time if I don't have to. This is my first Toyota product, all my other projects are BMW's and Alfa Romeo's and Fiats. So I guess my only question so far is,

DO Toyota torque converters "clock" onto the input shaft or do they pull straight off a key like most vehicles? It looks like there is good forward space if I remove the radiator to come forward enough to disengage it if I can't unbolt it from the flex plate. Thanks everyone!

PXL_20220817_202340731.jpg

I’ve unlocked two cars that were run without oil pressure,both by removing the oil pan and loosening the rod caps until it it would turn.After it was free,I added assembly lube to the rod bearings,added fresh oil,spun it with the starter(spark plugs removed) until the oil light went off,and then started the engine.One was locked by an oil pickup that was clogged with jelled oil after a long overdue oil change,the other by someone adding sugar to the oil..I have seen cams lock up and strip the timing belt..

Looks like my twin truck and close by too! Have fun with it, hopefully you'll find a good engine to swap and I'll see you out on the road soon.

The torque converter pulls straight off. That said, you will still need to spin the engine to remove the bolts that attach to the flex plate since the bell housing blocks their access. Honestly pulling the trans with the engine isn't that bad.

that's a nice find, there's this guy in central MT with a good used engine if needed.

Thanks everyone. I found a used engine on ebay from a vendor I have had luck with in the past. Should arrive next week. Time will be limited with Radwood coming up and Overcrest Rally in Idaho a couple weeks later. But if the TC will just slide off the transmission i hope to have good luck separating them. I have limited overhead clearance in my shop so I really worry about having enough room to lift both out. I looked, didn't look like the front radiator support unbolts either. I suppose worst case I'll pull the wheels to get headroom.

Nice. Was this the one posted on CL?

Good luck with the swap. Cool to see another Tacoma member on here!

So the past month I've been slowly disassembling the truck, but was mostly occupied getting ready for and running the Overcrest Rally. Junkyard engine getting ready for new gaskets and seals. I'm less than impressed with it's condition, obviously not had the oil changed often as it has lots of varnish. I pulled a cam cover on the locked up engine. Cam lobes look good. If it didn't score the journals I may have a decent set of heads to sell.

PXL_20220917_040152121.jpg

PXL_20220917_040228442.jpg

PXL_20220917_040242989.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom