Hello, Here's my wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As requested, here is my wagon. I have had it for about 3 years. I have always liked FJ40's and (forgive me) CJ7's. But there was never enough room for the family. After an aweful trip down to the Hammers where I broke everything from my frame down on my Jeep. Literally had to winch it out and ontoa trailer. I decided to get a new rig rather than spend to upgrade. So I searched and found a totally straight rust free FJ55 in Bonners Ferry, ID. After getting it home and driving it around I just couldn't bring myself to wheel it. It had new paint and the interior was almost new. It was just too nice to go out and beat up. So I sold it. Made money on the whole deal. The guy who bought it, wanted it before I got it, he just didn't want to travel all that way to get it. So I took the proceeds and bought the 60. Its been 3 years of sitting in the driveway in different stages of build. Some trips to Deans for axle and driveline help. A couple of trips to Rynobuilt for suspension and finally a trip over to Hollars for the shake down. It was way more of a project than I wanted to get into. Its hard to stop once the ball gets rolling. One thing always leads to another. But most the hard stuff is done. I had a lot of help. So here are some pictures. Cruiser 030.jpg

Cruiser 034.jpg
Cruiser 030.jpg
Cruiser 034.jpg

Nice rig cant wait to see it in person and have you wheelin with us

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

Since this last work has been done. The dirt you see in the picture has been the only dirt its been on. Yeh I need to get out. Its been too long since I have been wheeling.

Wasn't that for sale recently?

That thing looks awesome.
Did you move the front axle forward?
What is the running gear that youve got in it?
Got any shots of the exhaust routing?
Are you planning on any protection (sliders and such)?
D 60's front and rear?

K

Wasn't that for sale recently?

Yah, I kind of answered some guy in AZ who was looking for an expedition rig. I basically set a price on it. He forwarded it to another friend and it took off. Then the little lady crashed her Taco going up to Kirkwood. So she decided she wants a diesel excursion. So that is how it happened. It would have to be a sweet deal.

That thing looks awesome.
Did you move the front axle forward?
What is the running gear that youve got in it?
Got any shots of the exhaust routing?
Are you planning on any protection (sliders and such)?
D 60's front and rear?

K

Thanks.I didn't move the axle. The springs are OME. I have a Chevy 350, TH400, Dana 300 case with AA and gears, Dana 60 front, and Dana 60 rear. Both ends have ARB's. I can get some pictures of the exhaust. I would love to get a SOLIDOFFROAD rear bumper with tire carrier. The guy who is MUD from CO. I love his rear bumpers. The front bumper will be home made because I want to do something a little different. Tubing with a winch plate that stays below the head lights. I saw one on a rig a few years back and gleaned it off of the site. I might go up to Blazen Offroad for the sliders. I think another local 60 guy had them do his and they looked pretty nice. With the economy the way it is, its all a ways off though.

Thanks.I didn't move the axle. The springs are OME. I have a Chevy 350, TH400, Dana 300 case with AA and gears, Dana 60 front, and Dana 60 rear. Both ends have ARB's. I can get some pictures of the exhaust. I would love to get a SOLIDOFFROAD rear bumper with tire carrier. The guy who is MUD from CO. I love his rear bumpers. The front bumper will be home made because I want to do something a little different. Tubing with a winch plate that stays below the head lights. I saw one on a rig a few years back and gleaned it off of the site. I might go up to Blazen Offroad for the sliders. I think another local 60 guy had them do his and they looked pretty nice. With the economy the way it is, its all a ways off though.

Can you build your own bumper?
Youd pay a 1/4 of the price if you DIY.
I might be able to give you hand if you need. I just built one for my rig last year...

Just a thought!

Here's a pic of the finished product that I did.

K
bumperbuild 048.jpg

NVFJ60, very nice rig hope to see it soo. maybe yo could make the next meeting?

Can you build your own bumper?
Youd pay a 1/4 of the price if you DIY.
I might be able to give you hand if you need. I just built one for my rig last year...

Just a thought!

Here's a pic of the finished product that I did.

K

Dude that bumper sucks, you should start over and do it right. I might know a guy who would buy your pathetic first effort from you. :flipoff2:

I wish I could. I have a Lincoln wire feed welder, but I have never used it on anything other than work. I usually get RYNOBUILT to help in welding situations. I just think that SROR's bumper is awesome. Plus his price is less than the Kaymar or the 4Plus and others. If you don't mind me asking? How much did you spend on fabbing up yours? Yours looks almost the same. I hear that its all in the spindle for the tire carrier.

I wish I could. I have a Lincoln wire feed welder, but I have never used it on anything other than work. I usually get RYNOBUILT to help in welding situations. I just think that SROR's bumper is awesome. Plus his price is less than the Kaymar or the 4Plus and others. If you don't mind me asking? How much did you spend on fabbing up yours? Yours looks almost the same. I hear that its all in the spindle for the tire carrier.

I think that it was 200- 250 as you see it.
I actually got the spindle for the manufacturer that Jim (SROR) gets his from per his recommendation. Its A to Z fabrication and they were 30 bucks a set. Theyre rated at 1000 lbs IIRC
The latch and gas struts were from McMastercarr.
Ive got more time than I do money, so this was the only way to go for me. I could screw it up FIVE times start to finish and still be ahead of what one would cost from one of the aftermarket vendors charges. If you have a welder and youre NOT using it for this stuff, YOU SHOULD BE.
I learned HOW to weld so I could build my rig. I did my SOA with a lil Lincoln 110v and 3 mos of trigger time. Get some scrap steel and start running some beads. You'll save yourself THOUSANDS!

WOW. $250.00 is way better. I would have thought the steel would have been at least twice that. My beads aren't that bad. The biggest obstacle would be getting the 220 into the garage. The main panel is all the way on the other side of the house. If your bumper is your first try and without a Plasma, then its damn nice. There was a guy a few months or so ago that was going to make cut out kits to send out. They would show up ready to weld. It was on MUD. I think the guy lived in ID. He ended up flaking out on the whole deal. I think he had 9 orders. Might be a nice sideline business.

WOW. $250.00 is way better. I would have thought the steel would have been at least twice that. My beads aren't that bad. The biggest obstacle would be getting the 220 into the garage. The main panel is all the way on the other side of the house. If your bumper is your first try and without a Plasma, then its damn nice. There was a guy a few months or so ago that was going to make cut out kits to send out. They would show up ready to weld. It was on MUD. I think the guy lived in ID. He ended up flaking out on the whole deal. I think he had 9 orders. Might be a nice sideline business.

I donno what steel shops you have down there, but up here in Reno, we have a place called metal masters. Theyve got awesome prices, and if you give them dimensions, they will cut the steel for you.
Youll need a TON of 4.5 in cut off wheels, almost as many flap disc sanders, and a grinding wheel. Aside from that, a drill press for the frame tie ins (not absolutely necessary, but VERY NICE) and a hole saw.
I tied into the frame with 1/2 in plate. There are 3 rivets youll need to grind off and pop out and then bore out for you bolt ins. Youll also need to cut out the stock x member. You could leave it, but it will set your bumper out a bit further. If you build the bumper stout, you really shouldnt need it.
I added a trailer hitch on mine for emergency ONLY. Its is obvioulsy NOT rated.
I used 2x2 1/4 in wall for the swing outs...I would do a 2x3 .120 wall tube for those. It would lend a little more rigidity.
I would also recommend using DUAL swingout (like I did) if youre going to do a set up with BOTH gas and tire carriers. If you have BOTH on a single arm, that is a LOT of force exerted on the spindle end.
Also, for the body of the bumper...I used 5x5 in tubing...DO NOT go this route. Steel has memory. I obviously cut mine apart, and I had warping issues related to this phenomina and had to do a TON of extra work to get it "straight". Use 3/16 plate and if you wanna save time, have metal masters cut the dimensions. It may be a little extra for cut charges, but saves a TON of time in the end. If you like mine, I can give you the dimensions off of that.
It takes some time to do and get what you want, where you want it, but...if youre saving that much money...Who the F cares.
I F'd up and used the wrong latch. You need the LOCKING latch, and mine is not, so I have to use a retainer strap.
Just DO IT. Half the battle is OWNING a welder, and since you have one, there is really NO REASON to pay that much money for one of those bumpers. Not that they arent nice...dont get me wrong...but, its still a LOT OF MONEY for something that a little bit of time and effort wont save.
Another good idea is to go hit up steel fab places and ask to pick through their scrap bins. This helps spare some of the costs on the steel if you find the right peices, and also will allow you to go out and practice your welding on crap you dont care about. Look in the yellow pages for custom fence makers, steel fab shops, even if there is a construction site with steel workers aboard...tell em youre learning HOW to weld, and most likely they will not only let you take some scrap, but will also lend some pointers.
Im not too far from you, so if you get in a jam, I could probably come down and help.

Take your time and DO IT!

Keith

I just called my electrician. He is coming down next week to get me a 220 plug in the garage. Thanks for the pep talk.

Does metal masters beat PDM's prices?

I just called my electrician. He is coming down next week to get me a 220 plug in the garage. Thanks for the pep talk.

That's the spirit...
In true "CHEAP BASTARD" fashion!

K

Does metal masters beat PDM's prices?

Who is PDM?
Ive checked around Reno area, and Metal Masters had the best prices, but that was last year. As im to understand it, steel prices had gone DOWN...

K

PDM Steel is over in Sparks. Somewhere between Glendale and Greg. East of Rock and West of Peterbilt. They have any kind of steel you could imagine. Plate, tube, angle, you name it. But they are pricey. I bought some 2" chrome moly a couple of years ago for a roll cage. I thought I was going to have to take out a 2nd to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom