Hello From The Hub City (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member here from Lubbock, TX, the home of Buddy Holly and a bunch of other talented musicians. I've been devoted to the vehicle hobby for 58 years, leaving my fingerprints on more than 600 antique and classic cars and trucks. During that run, I've been a contributor to Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Ford truck, Chevy truck, hot rod, and classic car forums and find myself a newcomer on this forum after scoring a 1994 FZJ80, the latest for me in a line of Toyota trucks including Hi-Lux, Tacoma, 4Runner, and Tundra.

I'm presently working at getting it running after sitting for at least two years. The previous owner decided to change the transmission fluid for the first time at 213,000 miles. He found the transmission no longer functioned correctly after that new fluid cut loose all the varnish and impurities inside the transmission, so he parked it and walked away.

So far I've found a loose power wire at the positive terminal and a dead fuel pump. It started right up this evening after I replaced the fuel pump, but now gasoline is pouring from a ruptured fuel hose somewhere under the left side of the engine, so I know the next step of the resurrection. My transmission guru thinks he can remedy the transmission problems with a rebuild, but that remains to be seen.

Almost every one of my Google searches pointed to some article on IH8MUD, so it was obvious I needed to get on board for the best in info and assistance. I plan on using the Cruiser mostly during our relatively rare snow events and when going to my son-in-law's ranch after a rain and traveling a mile through the pasture on a dirt road, so it's unlikely I'll make any modifications.

Welcome to the group! With your background you may find these beasties laughably simple.
You'll probably be teaching us new things in a week or so...LOL.

Welcome! You must have had an amazing time with all those vehicles. The Land Cruisers are in a rarified class with their build quality. I sprung a fuel leak in the same place (along the frame rail) a few weeks ago. Ordered the new fuel lines from the dealer, and the rig went in yesterday to get them replaced. Good luck with the trans.

New member here from Lubbock, TX, the home of Buddy Holly and a bunch of other talented musicians. I've been devoted to the vehicle hobby for 58 years, leaving my fingerprints on more than 600 antique and classic cars and trucks. During that run, I've been a contributor to Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Ford truck, Chevy truck, hot rod, and classic car forums and find myself a newcomer on this forum after scoring a 1994 FZJ80, the latest for me in a line of Toyota trucks including Hi-Lux, Tacoma, 4Runner, and Tundra.

I'm presently working at getting it running after sitting for at least two years. The previous owner decided to change the transmission fluid for the first time at 213,000 miles. He found the transmission no longer functioned correctly after that new fluid cut loose all the varnish and impurities inside the transmission, so he parked it and walked away.

So far I've found a loose power wire at the positive terminal and a dead fuel pump. It started right up this evening after I replaced the fuel pump, but now gasoline is pouring from a ruptured fuel hose somewhere under the left side of the engine, so I know the next step of the resurrection. My transmission guru thinks he can remedy the transmission problems with a rebuild, but that remains to be seen.

Almost every one of my Google searches pointed to some article on IH8MUD, so it was obvious I needed to get on board for the best in info and assistance. I plan on using the Cruiser mostly during our relatively rare snow events and when going to my son-in-law's ranch after a rain and traveling a mile through the pasture on a dirt road, so it's unlikely I'll make any modifications.
Welcome! Thanks for the background!

So, you do your own work or just write about it?

Everything you will encounter on these trucks has been addressed in this forum by someone. Some are better than others. We typically gouge on people for a bit, tell them to search, go get a beam stretcher, hang it from a skyhook and tell them to replace the head gasket. Then we work with them to spend their money.

Good Luck!

Pictures or it didn't happen!!!!

Welcome! Thanks for the background!

So, you do your own work or just write about it?

Everything you will encounter on these trucks has been addressed in this forum by someone. Some are better than others. We typically gouge on people for a bit, tell them to search, go get a beam stretcher, hang it from a skyhook and tell them to replace the head gasket. Then we work with them to spend their money.

Good Luck!
I do my own work with the exception of transmission and AC repair.. I just finished an eight-month complete drivetrain rebuild on a 1992 Bronco that had every two-bit short-cut half-assed shadetree mechanic sin imaginable. I called it the two-for-one special - two new problems for every one I fixed. It was going to be a keeper until I acquired the Cruiser.

I do my own work with the exception of transmission and AC repair.. I just finished an eight-month complete drivetrain rebuild on a 1992 Bronco that had every two-bit short-cut half-assed shadetree mechanic sin imaginable. I called it the two-for-one special - two new problems for every one I fixed. It was going to be a keeper until I acquired the Cruiser.
Please share some of the stuff you encounter from the PO. There have been some interesting things done.

I'm also a Chevy, GMC and Studebaker enthusiast as well. Been doing this a while also.

Please share some of the stuff you encounter from the PO. There have been some interesting things done.

I'm also a Chevy, GMC and Studebaker enthusiast as well. Been doing this a while also.
Oh, man, I think the '53 Studebaker coupe was the most beautiful car ever to hit the road. I've had seven Studes, now all gone to other places. However, I still have the Hurst adapter for putting a Pontiac V8 in a '53-'55 Studebaker and a pair of mudguards for a '50 Commander.

Well, the fuel leak proved to be no big deal - a split hose at the fuel pressure regulator, but the truck isn't running right. Everything's good for 3-4 seconds before the idle drops and the engine begins loping. I've been reading numerous posts here describing the same problem and the potential fixes, so diagnosis and repair of that problem is the next step in returning the LC to operational status.

It appears the only problems inherited from the PO are an improperly wired aftermarket radio (only works on two speakers and loses channel memory each time the key is turned off), a misaligned front bumper, and a crimp in the hood, similar to those seen on so many '70s and '80s Chevy trucks. The paint is a little dodgy on the hood, front fenders, and fender flares, but the truck is otherwise in quite good shape for its age.

I was able to feather-foot the truck enough to back it off my trailer and pull it under a carport. Later in the day, I went back to look for potential causes for the stumbling idle. While attempting to keep it running sufficiently to back it from under the carport, the Cruiser figuratively cleared its throat and suddenly began to run and idle correctly. I may have been dealing with some residual aged gasoline lurking in the fuel system.

There are no stored trouble codes, but I've not driven the truck 10 miles at a run since I got it. Strangely enough, the reported transmission misbehavior didn't manifest during a drive around my neighborhood. I suspect that may change when things get really heated up and clearances begin to lessen, but it nonetheless inflicted some optimism about the state of the transmission.

if you disconnect the battery or the ignition fuse, the truck needs to be started at least twice before the ECU has relearned everything - running iffy upon the first try is normal

if you disconnect the battery or the ignition fuse, the truck needs to be started at least twice before the ECU has relearned everything - running iffy upon the first try is normal
Thanks for that info. The truck sat for months without a battery. I've started it a few times, all but once for only a few seconds. I intend to drive it around the neighborhood when these drought-busting rains let up, but I'm not gonna get too far away from home until I'm satisfied it's not going to overheat or start puking fluid from somewhere. First trip probably will be to Circle K for gas with my one-size-fits-all antique license plate on it.

OK, here's proof it did happen. The Cruiser appears rust-free and the body is in great shape from cowl back - a little thump and bump around the front bumper, hood, and left fender, but all can be remedied. I'll be watching for another hood, minus the goofy scoop. I know the grille is incorrect, and I have the tube step missing from the right side. The step mounting brackets need a bit of straightening to allow reattachment, but I have an anvil, big vise, big hammer, and rosebud torch.

Everything - lights, windows, locks, sunroof, HVAC blower, etc. - works, except the digital clock and the #2 and #3 dome lights. The front seats were competently recovered, albeit in a slightly different color than original, in Mexico. All carpet is in excellent condition. The rear hatch struts are about gone, and the tires are too old to trust.

The PO said he screwed up the transmission by changing fluid, but it performed correctly during a 20-minute drive earlier today. Next up is a cleaning session for the MAF sensor, idle air control, and throttle body, in hope that will cure the erratic cold idle.

DSCN5043.JPG

DSCN5045 (2).JPG

DSCN5047.JPG

DSCN5049.JPG

DSCN5051.JPG

Looks like a truck you can have fun with and not worry too much about bumps and bruises.
What are the vent thingies between the front quarter panels and the doors? Are they appliques? Or are they rain water drains or ...what?

The grill emblem works for Texas. :)
1665661336193.png
1665661202805.png

Looks like a truck you can have fun with and not worry too much about bumps and bruises.
What are the vent thingies between the front quarter panels and the doors? Are they appliques? Or are they rain water drains or ...what?

The grill emblem works for Texas. :)
View attachment 3139442 View attachment 3139440
I initially thought they were stock items until I noted they appeared on no other LC. They are high-quality stick-ons that I'm gonna work at removing with 3M Adhesive Cleaner.

The wildest use this truck probably will see is navigating a mile-long dirt road through a ranch pasture after a heavy rain.

Seems a "waste" of such a capable rig. Why not just get a Subaru?🤣

Last edited:
'Cause I think Toyota is the only brand from the Land of the Rising Sun worth having. At 72, my days of vehicular challenge and abuse are behind me...too stove up to mechanic on stuff like I used to.

My avatar is deceptive. It's me when I graduated from the Lubbock Police Academy in 1972.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom