Hello from a new member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently acquired a 88 FJ62, with 246K on her from my neighbor.
Overall pretty good shape, one minor dent and no rust. The PO had the Transmission rebuilt at about 220K.
So far I have replaced a bad fuel pump, water pump, and radiator. Along with thermostat, hoses, and belts.
She idles rough so I plan to do a tune up and valve adjustment soon, and check out the other obvious problems; a Compression Test and Drive Line checkout is also in order. The A/C is down but I will wait on fixing that for now.
I bought the beast to leave out on a hunting lease, but after tooling around in it for a week I have decided it is too nice for that, and I have Grand Son that will be driving in six months or so, and figure he can drive it, if he helps his Grandpa work on it.
I have owned Jeeps for 40 years, used to four wheel considerable. I have been down the engine/transmission/transfer case swap path a few times; but my knowledge is getting dated, so I need to learn a few news thing .
You have a great forum here, I have been inspired to start a few mods, I drug out some Aluminum scrap I had and have started planning a Roof Rack. I will try and get the remaining life out of the 3F before starting an engine swap. I have a good 400 SBC in the shop, that in front of a NV4500 sounds good in the future.

I'll get some photos up soon...

I figger 11 MPG and 3.75 a Gallon Gas will keep the Boy on a short leash.... :)

I learned how to drive stick shift and perform general auto maintenance from my grandfather. Those are very fond memories.

The 60 & 62 FAQs are invaluable - I was staring at the Heater Blower Motor looking thing that was blowing when the engine got hot, and was not connected to anything - thinking WTF is that thing - I did a web search on it and found this site along with the answer.

Don't laugh, this is the first "Import" I have owned :)

The 60 & 62 FAQs are invaluable - I was staring at the Heater Blower Motor looking thing that was blowing when the engine got hot, and was not connected to anything - thinking WTF is that thing - I did a web search on it and found this site along with the answer.

Don't laugh, this is the first "Import" I have owned :)

HAHA! I was also perplexed by this blower thing... Before I figured out what its use, I invented my own idea of what it was. It is a "River Crossing Carburetor Bathing Apparatus."

Welcome aboard! Either purchase or download a FSM, what the Mud forum can't answer for you the FSM will for sure.

I will locate a FSM - definitely a must have for this vehicle. This afternoon me and the grandson removed the wheels and tires in preparation for mounting a like new set of 30x10.50 BFG MTs I bought for half price or less. I taught him floor jack and jackstand safety and let him and his little sister use an impact wrench on the lug nuts. These tires will do for now I have to get it on the road to drive out for the opening if Dove season on Sept 1st.

New plug wires and spark plugs were added and she idles smooth for a straight six.

The valve train seems quite enough for now also.

It needs shocks but the springs seem to be in good shape.

The wheel ornaments went in the scrap pile ! :)

I was very happy to get rid of the rough idle, and it runs pretty strong for a hot water six in front of a slush box.

Still waiting for the pics.:) Sounds like you are on your way. There will always be something to fix on a 25+ year old vehicle, but once you get it roadworthy enough to take it offroad, you will be grinning from ear to ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom