Hello. A few questions about the Supercharger from Kazuma. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dad's 96 Land Cruiser has a Kazuma Supercharger and we're wondering if there are any places that sell pulleys that will allow us to raise the boost pressure on the Supercharger. Also, what other parts will be needed to deal with the increase in boost? I'm guessing a better fuel pump, injectors, and an aftermarket ECU (or something along these lines?).

Good question...I often think about going to a smaller pulley..I believe you may run lean on a smaller pulley...hopefully others will chime in.
airlaird

I have the next size smaller pulley that came directly from TRD, but it will require that the offset be set by a machine shop. Offset is the amount of standoff away from the face of the blower and determines the alignment within the belt track. It would be set by having a machine shop measure the existing pulley you have and then mill some of the shaft of off this one; common stuff for blower setups. PM me if you are interested in it.

Jim.

The stock pulley is 3.2 inches. I have a 3.0 inch that I run from time-to-time. Mine was offset corrected by a friend. Increased boost will reinfoce the requirement for premium fuel and 100% perfect cooling and fuel systems. Do not be surprised if you need to do something custom to provide additional fuel.

cruiserdan said:
The stock pulley is 3.2 inches. I have a 3.0 inch that I run from time-to-time. Mine was offset corrected by a friend. Increased boost will reinfoce the requirement for premium fuel and 100% perfect cooling and fuel systems. Do not be surprised if you need to do something custom to provide additional fuel.

Youll also need a new belt... given the smaller dimensions of the SC pulley...

Is more really better?

I did a bit of research on this a while ago. The problem I have is with the numbers that Eaton puts out for the M90. I'll try to find all the calculations I put into my spreadsheets, but my conclusion of it all was that the M90 output at 6-7psi on a 4.5L DOHC motor was about maxed out in terms of compressor output vs engine CFM. You can spin it faster, but in reality the compressor efficiency will drop, and the max air ouput doesn't change. A big inline 6 of 4.5 liters with dual overhead cams can flow a lot of air.

I suspect you could do more by optimizing the heat, the injectors, the fuel pump, the fuel pressure, the ignition timing of the truck, intercooler, and yield more benefits than adding the smaller pulley.

Bottom Line: The TRD M90 is well matched to the engine size at 7psi. The biggest comment I get from other M90 owners is how quiet the 80 application is. I believe this is because what the charger puts out, the engine moves thru.

All that said, if you want to run more, you really should do the fuel pump, injector sizing, fuel pressure regulator anyway. So start there, and add the pulley if you want.

In my shop I work on turbos for a living. Boost is an addiction. My job is to make sure more has more benefit. In the case of the M90 on the 1FEFZ motor, I believe it's well matched to the stock pulley. A dyno would really determine if more boost gets you more output. The spreadsheets I've put all this through, says don't get your hopes up.

Edit: Here's more notice the CFM output of 5psi vs 10psi, specifically split that difference, you have gained maybe 20CFM?

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers/M90.asp

Putting 7psi into my CFM spreadsheet with 85% volumetric efficiency I get ~500CFM airflow thru the engine at redline which is probably a bit over actual... What this all means, is that the M90 is *just* adequate for the needs of the 1FEFZ. If you take a gander around, for performance (as apposed to 'gain'), the Eaton M112 would probably be a better choice for this motor. The problem I have with the M112, is it's not known to be very efficient at lower boost levels, but flows a lot of air at higher pressures.

HTH and my .02

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Last edited:
Agamenon said:
Youll also need a new belt... given the smaller dimensions of the SC pulley...

Not an accurate statement for this application. I use the same belt for both pulleys.

This is a chart that was originally published by the dealers that were selling the supercharger. I don’t know if the information came from TRD or where.

Code:
Pulley Size  Max Boost Max Horsepower@4350 rpm*  Max Torque@3350 rpm*

2         12.5              358                   434
     2.2       11.5              347                   422
     2.4       10.5              335                   410
     2.6        9.5              323                   399
     2.8        8.5              311                   387
     3          7.5              299                   375
     [COLOR=yellow]3.2        [/COLOR][COLOR=yellow]6.5[/COLOR]  [COLOR=yellow]            288                   [/COLOR][COLOR=yellow]363[/COLOR]
     3.4        5.5              275                   351
     3.6        4.5              264                   340

*all figures represent at flywheel

Yellow shading represents initial supercharger configuration

Adding a pulley that increases the boost over the base, emissions-legal pulley will require additional modifications, possibly including ECU and fuel delivery systems. At this time, Kazuma does not supply these additional modified parts, but may be able to assist you in sourcing them through other aftermarket vendors.

It is possible (barely) to install down to a 2.6” pulley with the stock installation. Smaller than that the crank drive pulley would have to be moved out along with the belt tensioner.
A few pictures showing the different pulleys and pulley work being done. The black pulley is the stock 3.2 inch.

Bill

Edit: Added 100 HP from the spreadsheet figures I used to agree with figures from link in next post.
Supercharger-pulleys-four-s.jpg
SC pulley difference other side.jpg
Supercharger-Pulley-Work.jpg

Last edited:
More on Kazuma numbers

Hi:banana: version:
Ok, I corrected my spreadsheets for the dyno numbers above. If I use the above chart, the correction factor of 2.1CFM per HP allows me to input the above boost pressures, and get est flywheel hp within a couple hp published above.

That translates to a 1.00 Volumetric Efficiency at 3350rpm (peak torque) and 85% Volumetric Efficiency at 4350rpm (peak HP) and 80% VE above that. Bottom line: the Kazuma Eaton M90 supercharger is out of airflow at 10.5psi. You can get peak hp at 4350 and 12.5psi, but it'll drop like a rock after that. And consistent 12.5psi runs over 4350rpm (whatever injectors you use) will overheat just about everything downstream of the SC outlet!

Lo :banana: version
I'd consider the 8.5psi as max, as that gives less than 10% CFM cushion, which has always been where I tag forced induction comfort zones. The 7.5psi pulley (3.0in) Dan uses just makes the 10% window, without regard to any offestting changes in compressor efficiency.

Switch to the Eaton M112, and Christo would have a lot of competition to his turbo ...

HTH and My .02

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago
'94 FZJ80 Supercharged 3.2in pulley

Last edited:
Weird. It seems that every HP number I posted is 100 less than the ones from that link. Mine were from a spreadsheet I got several years ago. The ones from the link seem more realistic as SUMOTOY pointed out, so I would disregard the ones I posted.

Bill

Edit: Changed my numbers to agree with those in the link posted. That sure was an easy way to get an extra 100 HP.

Last edited:
Photoman said:
Edit: Changed my numbers to agree with those in the link posted. That sure was an easy way to get an extra 100 HP.
Bill:
If it makes you feel better, my spreadsheets kicked your chart data out with red Andromeda strain flashes: Volumetric Efficiency out of range. Since your numbers in the right hand column were the same, and the left were only 100 different, I added 100 to that HP column and all was well again, VE between 80-100% (100 at peak torque, 85 at peak hp).

I wonder what was left of the truck that was tested at 12.5psi. I suspect that part of the 'ECU' modification would have been a 4350 redline. :doh:

SJ

Last edited:
Who sells the smaller pulleys and why do they need to be custom fitted if the factory pulleys are not

You can try here to buy some pulleys. I never dealt with them so don’t know anything about availability or application. The reason for machining blank or generic pulleys is to get the drive belt to line up. Also, as the pulleys get smaller in diameter they will not fit over the nose piece on the supercharger so pulley material has to be removed. This will work to a point around 2.6” IIRC when there will not be enough material left to support the belt. If you wish to go to a smaller diameter than this it might be possible to flip the pulley which would allow it to clear the supercharger nose and would stick out approx. ½” farther. The crankshaft drive pulley and the belt tension pulley would then have to be spaced out the same to keep the belt in alignment. This would strain the supercharger bearings a bit more as it would be driving them from farther out. You might also want to put a parachute on the head. :eek: Another option of course is to fabricate a larger crankshaft drive pulley to overdrive the supercharger pulley. It is a bit more work to swap out the crank pulley as opposed to the supercharger pulley. LOL, while you are at it, you could make a little larger pulley to overdrive the alternator and AC compressor for more low RPM amps, more AC, and faster ruination.

Bill

I wonder what was left of the truck that was tested at 12.5psi. I suspect that part of the 'ECU' modification would have been a 4350 redline. :doh:

SJ

I suspect the truck was theoretical and therefore was only theoretically harmed.

So it says on the Kazuma site that the supercharger kit is available, that's good news because I thought superchargers were not available anymore... Just the TRD SC discontinued I guess??

You can try here to buy some pulleys. I never dealt with them so don’t know anything about availability or application. The reason for machining blank or generic pulleys is to get the drive belt to line up. Also, as the pulleys get smaller in diameter they will not fit over the nose piece on the supercharger so pulley material has to be removed. This will work to a point around 2.6” IIRC when there will not be enough material left to support the belt. If you wish to go to a smaller diameter than this it might be possible to flip the pulley which would allow it to clear the supercharger nose and would stick out approx. ½” farther. The crankshaft drive pulley and the belt tension pulley would then have to be spaced out the same to keep the belt in alignment. This would strain the supercharger bearings a bit more as it would be driving them from farther out. You might also want to put a parachute on the head. :eek: Another option of course is to fabricate a larger crankshaft drive pulley to overdrive the supercharger pulley. It is a bit more work to swap out the crank pulley as opposed to the supercharger pulley. LOL, while you are at it, you could make a little larger pulley to overdrive the alternator and AC compressor for more low RPM amps, more AC, and faster ruination.

Bill
Thank you photoman now it makes sense the pulley is over the nose cone I'll give pboys a call and see what they can do they have ones for other trd packages. If the tables abover are correct a 2.6 should yield 9.5 inches though my truck is only making 5 on the stock pulley. This is all being done so to optimize a water/alcohol injection system. I'll listen to any advice on that.
I have already solved the fuel delivery side, though not a very eloquent solution.
Can anybody tell me if on a 94 if changing the base timing at the distributor will really full the computer or will it just full me on the advance curve shift?

I heard from a reliable source that the rumor of discontinued was so the stock could be cleared out as they have a newer version. Haven't heard anything about the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom