Hellicopter lands on the top of the world!

amazing, simply amazing. I didn't even think a rotery aircraft could sustane that kind of altitude. let alone land and take off.

Man, that's something...I just hope it doesn't turn into a carnival affair where, for $20, you can take a ride up to the top of Everest...

However, what a great achievement for search and rescue folks...just wish that it was American made...

*sidenote - do you suppose it has some sort of oxygen/fuel injection system to keep the thing going that high up?

That's awesome. Ex military buddy of mine went with a group of helo pilots to Mt. Everest back in 94-95 to do a base camp clean up. He had pics of hundreds of air bottles and other garbage left behind by previous expeditions. Ended up removing 2 tons worth of garbage off the mt.

I suppose there will be alot of future orders from that manufacturer.

Jomama

swank60 said:
*sidenote - do you suppose it has some sort of oxygen/fuel injection system to keep the thing going that high up?

I dont believe reaching that altitude has beena engine preformance issue (especially not w/a turbine). Its a lift/lack of air density problem.

I get to fly in a variety of helo's quit regularly and the A-stars are like a ferrari compared to Bells and Hugh's imo... Can even talk (well yell) in the cockpit and hear w/out a headset if necessary.

bigndn

wesintl said:
I agree.. wow.. but it was bound to happen sooner or later. Maybe a helo will land on the moon next ;)

The moon??? NEVER happen. It's just an AStar......pretty sweet ship, though. Good lift capabilities for a light heli.

Junk

Almost more amazing is the fact they were able to sneak that trip in during a calm. High winds have been brutal later in May than normal.

Cool new record for helicopters, but it's too bad it happened on Everest. That place is already over-run with people trying to set records .... hope this does not escalate into an aircraft competition as well! Not trying to sound sour, I just think its sad :frown:

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

I'm bummed about this as well. The previous experience was a mission. A life time of training, 2 months on the mountain, a climb that killed 1/3 of the people attempting it and an all consuming passion for many people. Now, the experience is diluted forever. Imagine training 10 years for that climb, and arriving at the summit only to be greated by weathy fools in a heli.

Wow

when i read this before i opend the hyperlink i just knew it was a A Star. they have set a lot of records with that helo. this also cool bucause i fly in one of those on a regular basic. they are pretty nimble too. i loike to teel people it is my other work truck.

like someone else said ti was only a matter of time

Cruiserdrew said:
I'm bummed about this as well. The previous experience was a mission. A life time of training, 2 months on the mountain, a climb that killed 1/3 of the people attempting it and an all consuming passion for many people. Now, the experience is diluted forever. Imagine training 10 years for that climb, and arriving at the summit only to be greated by weathy fools in a heli.

How many of the climbers are wealthy fools on foot?

And I don't see how this takes away from the effort people put into it.

Now if they build a road up there and you take your Cruiser to the summit, then I can see the arguement.

Koffer

I'm hoping now they will clean the rest of the crap up off the Mt. I can remember seeing pixs and reading stuff about all the trash left there as it was too hard to take back out . Now maybe some of the bodies will be returned to the families that have lost someone on the mountan. I can still see in my head a tape of some climbers crawling over a dead body that was left tangled in the ropes for a few years at the time to the point they said his name and highlighted the body on the flim. I felt that showed "no class" for his family. :doh:

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation

I don't think you are going to see passengers riding up there. That copter would have been as light as possible and the engine would have been at the max to get it there. The EGT would have been near or over red line. They would have had just enough fuel to do the trip and would not have had much manuverabilty in the machine. Say if a turbulant wind would have hit the copter it would have been a fools notice in the papers.

I've been in small aircraft in the Andes at 20,000 feet. They are at the max for engine operating. So doing manuvers is difficult. Big jets climb up and go fast. different then thrashing at the air at slow speeds

The pilot of the Astar would have used supplimental O2. None the less a great accomplishment.

Top Bottom