Hella 4000 Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
OK, a good friend and fellow ih8mud member ordered a set of Hella Rally 4000 Pencil Beams, and one of the Hella connectors wasn't included (the one that clips on the back of the light). In order to solder a new connection, I noticed that there are three wires off of the rear.

One is ground, one is +12v. What is the third? ???

-H-

His might be the model that has a "city" light in it - a small 15w or so bulb that may European lamps have for city use. The small bulb causes the vehicle to remain highly visible under well lit urban conditions without contributing any glare. If the lamp is not this model (look for the bulb/socket, obviously) then it may be the wrong harness. At any rate, simply ignore the second power wire to make it work.

Doug

Doug is prolly right, it's for a city light, it may or may not have it. Pull the plug(it comes right out) out of the back of the light and see what wires are connected, if just 2 wires then no city light and just hook em up like normal. If a city light, then I would guess the other is also a +......but not sure.

FWIW my Hella 4000's euro beams only have 2 pins on the connector....and no city light.

John h

Here is a diagram that came with mine if it helps. PM me if you want the instructions and other diagram illustrations.
Bill

Went and looked at a pair of 4000 fogs I took off the other truck, and they have 3 wires coming out of the lights, but one (yellow) is cut as it exits the plug and they came this way. So, I have 2 wires in use.

I suspect that all/most European Hella 4000s have the city light feature, and that the US importer (who buys lamps in bulk and puts them in US boxes with the harness) simply nips the extra wire. Yours may have been missed if it, as we suspect, has no city light feature. Too bad, as I'd also like that feature for maximum visibility of my rig without excess glare... Those dang non US motorists get all the cool stuff!

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom