1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hell on wheels --

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by erics_bruisers, Jul 16, 2005.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

-- well, yesterday was supposed to be easy -- go to Avon CT, pick up 550 lbs. of frozen dog food, place Diva in Kingston, NY, and then drive back to Upstate NY --

-- I got to Oma's at 6 PM, right when they closed -- got the frozen food in my car, and realized it was still awfully hot outside -- shoot --

-- so, i put up the windows, and started driving to Kingston -- without AC, mind you --

-- the GPS took me through the CRAZIEST drive of my life -- it was like a baja course, going through all thee snobby estates and private schools and the like --

-- got to the home visit 2 hours late -- wonderful home --

-- started driving home -- got tired --

-- food started to defrost --

-- I iced it and iced it, but finally succumbed and fell asleep for a while -- not behind the wheel, mind you -- !!

Woke up this AM and drove some more, through the morning, getting home around noon-ish --

-- I was in my Civic, which has a undercoated interior, and the melting ice started making a small wave towards the front of my car --

fawk --

-- finally got home, and went to Wal-Mart to buy baggies to put the 550 lbs. of raw food in --

-- as I approached my car after being at Wal-Mart, I noticed a stream of water coming out the rear of the car, from the melting brew --

-- I thought to myself, "I am more white trash than anyone here -- the rear of my Civic is bottoming out with 500 lbs. of raw food in it, and now it's pissing in the Wally-World parking lot" --

-- anyway, I got home okay and gave the pups bison knuckles, which they love, and the food is all getting re-bagged and put in the freezer now --

-- manual labor sucks -- in the future, I'd shell out the $200 for Oma's Food to deliver the bastid food 1 hour from me --

-- no pics on this one -- it ain't purty -- i enclosed a stock pic of the food though --

e

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Let them gnaw on yer leg next time Eric, they prefer it anyway...

3. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    is that stuff made out of kid pieces??

4. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

it's good stuff, actually, though the drive was the end of me -- :|

dutchess county is the bomb -- not in this lifetime though -- :D

e

5. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

MMMMMMMM seal pup meat.

6. calamaridog

calamaridog

How many pounds of that stuff does each dog eat and how many feedings?

What do you do with the defrosted stuff? Refreeze it?

Haven't you heard of a cooler:D

7. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

each do gets approx. 2% of its body-weight per day, so 3/4 to 1 lb at each of two feedings --

-- it didn't really defrost, since the 10 lb rolls have such a frozen core --

-- if any were defrosted, i would've just fed it to the pups --

:D

e

8. 3puttcop

3puttcop

Kingston, NY????? Next time in in Kingston you have to meet me at the Hofman House and we'll drink all day....wifey loves it when I do that!!!!

9. Critter

Critter

Raw foods = hippy crap, I am amazed that stuff doesn't give your dogs raging diarrhea or are you actually cooking it?

10. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

yup, kingston ny --

-- isn't there a springsteen lyric from kingston?

I met her in a Kingston bar
    We fell in love I knew it had to end
    We took what we had and we ripped it apart
    Now here I am down in Kingston again

Anyway, I have fed over 250 dogs on raw and they never once got sick --

-- though they do tend to live longer -- :D

e

11. Critter

Critter

Plus we know you are trying to keep their blood thirst alive. :D

12. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    My dog kept trying to eat a porcupine this weekend. S&W 38 special took care of that.

13. calamaridog

calamaridog

Nothing wrong with feeding raw food to dogs. My vet feeds raw chicken quarters and mixed vegies to his dogs and they are very healthy. Chicken bones are only brittle and dangerous when they are cooked.

I don't suppose the wolf or coyote down the street cooked it's food, do you?

Eric, how much does it cost per pound?

14. coolcruiserfj40

coolcruiserfj40

took care of the dog or the the porcupine?
    :flipoff2:

15. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I come in at about $.70 per lb for the turkey/veg mix, which is ground turkey, bones, organs and veggies -- I'm a dirstributor, so I get a break on the price --

-- the stuff's 100% natural, with no additives or preservatives -- they eat better than I do - :D

e

16. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Monsters .. both of you

17. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

how many dogs are you feeding such that you need 500 lbs to suffice.

18. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

*fire in the hole!!*

19. Critter

Critter

Good argument! :rolleyes:

Yea but we are talking about tons of generations of dogs that have been fed cooked/processed foods and have become condition to it. Not some wild beast he took in out of the outback...

If you go back enough generations most of your ancestors probably didn't cook their food either (and if they did it probably wasn't properly cooked to our standards today), but I don't see you eating raw chicken anytime soon...

Domesticated animals aren't immune to stuff like salmonella poisoning, clostridium botulinum, etc. Both of which are heat sensitive.

Most of the appeal of this “raw” food craze is that it doesn’t have preservatives and it isn’t processed. A point Eric already made in his post. The problem with it is that it isn’t. From what I learned in my nutrition, muscle foods, etc classes these processes and ingredients that are left out are critical to protecting us (them) from dangerous organisms that live in meat, vegetables, etc. While also increasing self stability, and providing an undesirable environment for bacteria to grow. Processed dog food also contains a lot of supplemental nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that your dog/cat need that they may not be getting from their diet.

Too each his own, but I feel a lot safer feeding my dogs processed foods. I am not going to eat raw chicken, so I don’t expect my dog too either.

20. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

Critter: I have fed over 300 dogs the raw food diet, fanging from 5 weeks old to 10 years old -- never once did they get sick.

Also, I supplement their food with Missing Link Plus -- so that pretty much ends the "they're not getting everything" argument -- what they're not getting is the junk fillers, anti-biotics and growth hormones found in dry kibble food.

Here's what ML PLus includes:

Glucosamine to stimulate the production of collagen, the protein that helps support healthy joints.

Omega-3 & -6 Essential Fatty Acids to reduce inflammation and promote joint mobility, a healthy skin & coat and balanced energy.

Enzymes and probiotics (beneficial bacteria) to maintain normal digestion.

Fiber for bowel health.

Phytonutrients and traces of various vitamins and minerals important for overall health and well being.

Red dirt: Am feeding quite a few -- :D

e