Hell for stout vs skyjacker 4 inch lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@rkymtnflyfisher @brian

Would 2-1/2" extended shackles be too much with skyjackers? Trying to gauge how much shackle lift to run f/r with skyjacker 4"
I can measure my shackles this evening, fronts are stock length, rears are extended.

it seems every lift runs different with regard to the shackle situation.

Here was the issue I had with my rear with stock shackles, I guess the best solution would have been to relocate the spring hanger on the frame, but that wasn’t going to happen.

8B3BB6C8-C0FA-45A9-ABBB-77A4D0310BB8.jpeg
1D920ED6-F1AD-4A8D-AB4D-840B84CEBE92.jpeg
BC7C8684-A8EC-4523-83D9-97852C200D5E.jpeg
2C39C866-76A9-4E40-8DB9-F7EB4AA93270.jpeg
E9471782-8383-4E04-A3C5-1A3180C198A1.jpeg

Here was the issue I had with my rear with stock shackles, I guess the best solution would have been to relocate the spring hanger on the frame, but that wasn’t going to happen.

View attachment 2653753View attachment 2653754View attachment 2653755View attachment 2653756View attachment 2653757

Ah - spring is a little long using stock length shackles, got it. Hoping I can use either 1.5 or 2.5" extended shackles on the truck for now and swap over to skyjackers later.

I have the 4" HFS lift (Springs, Shackle shocks etc) and a couple of notes. No comment onthe shocks as I have no experience with any other. Ride is rough, it is a short wheel base truck, but these are stiff spings. Measure your angles for the shims, mine needed 6 or 8 degree (don't remember which) for the front. When I initially installed the lift the rear of the cruiser was lower than the front, raked back more that I liked so I ordered the HFS extended shackles and that got it sitting pretty close to level.

4 inch Skyjacker lift with Bilstien shocks and one inch extended shackles, it’s a great comb. Tried a heavy duty 4 inch spring with a military wrap on end and they were awful, stiff like the springs were welded together, no flex. On the topic of shims, steel for sure but more importantly make sure you shim the rear to put the pinyon angle and the rear angle of the transfer case within a couple degrees of each other. If you don’t you will get a real bad vibration that will destroy things, trust me. I originally failed to make sure this was correct and it cost me a transfer case. one of the two bolts located inside the transfer case came loose and blew a hole in the bottom of my case.

And you guys run extended brake lines right? I’ll probably buy those when I buy the lift

4 inch Skyjacker lift with Bilstien shocks and one inch extended shackles, it’s a great comb. Tried a heavy duty 4 inch spring with a military wrap on end and they were awful, stiff like the springs were welded together, no flex. On the topic of shims, steel for sure but more importantly make sure you shim the rear to put the pinyon angle and the rear angle of the transfer case within a couple degrees of each other. If you don’t you will get a real bad vibration that will destroy things, trust me. I originally failed to make sure this was correct and it cost me a transfer case. one of the two bolts located inside the transfer case came loose and blew a hole in the bottom of my case.
Wiped out my rear diff.

Okay that is perplexing... I have the same 4 inch Skyjacker springs on my 1972 and they don't look anything like that with factory rear shackles?! WTH???
I'm sure there are many variables in this, I have the 4plus rear beer cooler/tire carrier on the back, and a fold and tumble rear seat, loaded with 2 teenagers.

I had Skyjacker 4 inch lift springs that had sagged down with time - had the same dimples in the rear spring hanger with stock shackles

longer bumpstops stopped the hitting of the rear spring hangers - also, I now have the 4+ anti-inversion shackles in the rear - and had to get a new pair of Skyjackers after I found one of the leafs broken :rolleyes:

I like my Skyjackers and will buy them again and support a business in Louisiana (where I live part of the time) - I just wish they would stop putting religious pamphlets in their shipments :mad:

I had Skyjacker 4 inch lift springs that had sagged down with time - had the same dimples in the rear spring hanger with stock shackles

longer bumpstops stopped the hitting of the rear spring hangers - also, I now have the 4+ anti-inversion shackles in the rear - and had to get a new pair of Skyjackers after I found one of the leafs broken :rolleyes:

I like my Skyjackers and will buy them again and support a business in Louisiana (where I live part of the time) - I just wish they would stop putting religious pamphlets in their shipments :mad:
If they make good springs, that’s all I need

If they make good springs, that’s all I need
no idea how old the sagging Skyjackers were when I got my 40, but I have had the new Skyjackers at least 8 years now, and they haven't sagged much yet

I should mention that I run Bilstein shocks, 4+ anti-inversion Shackles, and 4+ U-bolt flips - I do run the Skyjacker bushings on the spring eye side and polyurethane bushings from Kurt (@cruiseroutfitter) in the spring eyes on the body side

and for Spring pins I run Kurt's - but I managed to mangle some of those, as well as Toyota spring pins, and also greasable spring pins (those were the worst, and I will not run them again) - 7 years of wheeling Moab at least once/year, 17 years in Arizona

no idea how old the sagging Skyjackers were when I got my 40, but I have had the new Skyjackers at least 8 years now, and they haven't sagged much yet

I should mention that I run Bilstein shocks, 4+ anti-inversion Shackles, and 4+ U-bolt flips - I do run the Skyjacker bushings on the spring eye side and polyurethane bushings from Kurt (@cruiseroutfitter) in the spring eyes on the body side

and for Spring pins I run Kurt's - but I managed to mangle some of those, as well as Toyota spring pins, and also greasable spring pins (those were the worst, and I will not run them again) - 7 years of wheeling Moab at least once/year, 17 years in Arizona
Is there a way to just buy the springs, or do I have to buy the whole kit? I don’t want to get 200 dollars of rough country shocks if I’m just gonna replace them

Is there a way to just buy the springs, or do I have to buy the whole kit? I don’t want to get 200 dollars of rough country shocks if I’m just gonna replace them
yes - I don't know what they list on their website these days, but I ordered only what I wanted: the springs and the bushings

actually, I went through my local 4-Wheel-Parts store in Arizona, told them the parts numbers and quantities, so that reduced shipping costs for me - disclaimer: your local experience may vary

if there is no 4-Wheel-Parts in your vicinity, just call Skyjacker and see if they know a vendor in your area, and if shipping to a business turns out cheaper than a private residence

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom