Hell For Stout Spring question, backwards? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
So, like every other leaf lift known to man (that I am aware of), I installed the leafs with MORE packs in the FRONT. Stock, OME, Safari Man-a-fre, BDS, rancho, etc... this is always the case, becuase you have the majority of the weight up front, thus there were more leaf packs on the front.

I think stock was 7 in the front 6 in the rear or something of that nature. Well, same with my current OME SOA conversion. The more packs are up front.

Now, on my buddies 40, we put more packs up front as well, but on the Cool Cruisers website, it shows that more packs go in the rear.

The leafs are the same thickness, so I thought I'd question this. ESPECIALLY with an aluminum tub, and virtually no weight in the back.

The article: http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/hfs40xsprings.html

Curious,

Ragman

I have an extra leaf in the back for 1.5 inches of lift -

The front set higher because the engine swap - I believe the 2F is heavier than the 350?

Now it is pretty even...

I have 7 leaves up front and 8 leaves in the rear. They are labeled F and R for front and rear.

more leaves up front would be the norm. the leaf packs should also have different specs. the rears should be an 1~1 1/2 longer than the front and the distance to the front eye center to center pin is about a half inch greater than the front.
These springs, like BDS, skyjacker and Man-A Fre are manufactured by McCoy of Canada
Maybe they could offer additional help

actually, more leaves in the rear is common for load carrying capacity....

I'd be surprised if CCOT would link an article on their site showing an incorrect installation....particularly since it was also in Toyota Trails.....

dmaddox said:
Q: What leafs go in the front, which ones go in the rear, SPECIFICALLY on an HFS 4" leaf lift from Cool Cruisers of Texas.

on the leafs they have it painted in yellow

hfs 40rx
hfs 40fx

f for front
r for rear

let me know how the install goes and maybe post some pictures, mines being shipped to me this week.

The way I see it, you want more leaves in the back because there is less load back there and the more leaves, the more progression you get in your rate, that way it gives you a soft ride when empty and as you add weight, more leaves come into play. The front leaves are few because the weight is more fixed, thats why some lifts are very stiff when they have few springs.
HTH,
HFS customer #1

I'm in the middle of installing the HFS 4" lift kit on my 1968 FJ 40.

Back is done - front still to do.

My take is that it would be tricky to reverse the springs as the back are quite a bit longer than the shorter, stockier front springs. Your shackle angles would look pretty weird if you reversed them (they would be tilting in - bad, vs. out (good)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom