Hell Creek Lift Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
Hell Creek Lift Pics and Review

Over the winter I installed a Hell Creek Suspension lift on the 60. I got a good deal on it, it was under a grand shipped. Below are before and after pictures.

Before lift nicely sagged, front pretty much sitting on the bumpstops.

IMG00098-20101028-1406.jpg

Here it is after the lift but before it settled in a bit.

IMG00398-20110301-0707.jpg

I need to take a current picture but the front setttled a bit more than the back. The truck sits level from a side to side standpoint and is just a tad higher in the back than in the front.

Lift height: I'm happy with the lift height. It's about what I was after. The lift introduced minimal bumpsteer and I do not have driveline vibes.

Lift components: All seem great except the u-bolts. The kit comes with standard u-bolts and I'm not crazy about needing two sets of tools to work on the truck. Plus, the stock u-bolts will work fine with the kit and the studs don't stick down nearly as far. I reused the stockers on the rear axle adn will be replacing the new u-bolts with the stockers on the front before I wheel and bend up the studs on the new ones. I suppose if you order the kit see if you can get it without the u-bolts and save a buck.

Ride: It's wicked stiff - edit, but softening up as it settles in. I was stiff before because it had no up travel but it still feels that way - edit, much better, front shackle angle allows for much more downtravel. I will say this truck should handle the weight of a lot of cargo with no issues. It is very flat when corning and has little brake dive. Still, it's buck board stiff to the point I think my butt will hit the floor from flexing the seat springs and I'm not that heavy -edit, again much improved with about 500 miles of driving on pavement. Maybe that's normal, I don't have much to which I can compare it. Either way, I'm going to roll with this lift for the forseeable future. If anything it should be very durable.

I haven't had it off road yet but hope to do so this summer. I suspect loaded with gear this suspension setup will start to show its strengths.

My overall verdict so far is that if you want a lift that is tough and easy on the wallet this will serve that purpose. If you want something with a cushy on road ride this isn't the best choice. -edit, this might still be true, I have never ridden in, for example, an OME soft kit'd truck, but I'm happy with the ride. Best of all, no lean!

Frank

Last edited:
Here is how it sits today. As I said it's a nice amount of lift and shouldn't sag under load.

IMG00444-20110503-1831.jpg

No cruiser lean...

IMG00443-20110503-1830.jpg

This shows the front u-bolts.

IMG00442-20110503-1830.jpg

I have read some posts from -08 that said the springs loosen up after some wheeling so that will be good. I definitely don't see this lift sagging any time soon.

Frank

Just a quick update. Here is a picture of the truck loaded .. well probably overloaded driving from IL to San Diego.

2011-06-24_14-04-12_844.jpg

The suspension is excellent under load. We had head winds that turned to cross winds averaging about 40 MPH. The truck rocked very little even with all that stuff on the roof.

I'm now totally stoked on this kit. It costs much less than the OME, is US built, and works very well. I would recommend it.

Frank

Last edited:
I like it when your cruiser has a little stinkbug stance, especially because then it doesn't sag so much when under load. Maybe I have a little much stinkbug stance, but when fully loaded with four persons, camping equipment, extra diesel and a lot of tools it sits straight.

This sits just a touch stink bug unladen but as you can see with this much weight it sags in the back.

Frank

Yeah, haha! But it looks like you packed like you have to stay away for a decade! :)

Looks good great review, I may do something like this to my 60. What exactly was the lift? New leaf packs all around? New shackels? Stock schocks?

Thanks

The lift includes
All new springs
All new shocks
Steering damper
Shock Boots
All new (standard, not metric) U-bolts.

My only suggestion would be to see if you can save some money by not ordering the shackles. You can resuse your old ones and avoid installing standard hardware on your metric truck.

This kit is already very affordable so might make it even more tempting. I paid $960 shipped when I ordered.

Frank

Last edited:
My only suggestion would be to see if you can save some money by not ordering the shackles. You can resuse your old ones and avoid installing standard hardware on your metric truck.

Did you mean u-bolts or shackles?

Nice looking rig! That's quite a trip! Permanent move or vacation? 60 series, still my favorite LC....

Oops, edited to say u-bolts.

Yeah I loaded it up badly. I could barely hold 60 MPH in much of the high desert. Thin air and wicked strong head winds were hard on the 60. That's where I had the overheating issues I had posed about in another thread. I ddn't intend to haul that much stuff but you know how moving goes, the last pod left and it didn't look like there was that much left.. but there was.

We moved back to San Diego. We were in the midwest for 3 years. Good times, but nice to surf before work again.

I'm excited to get out on the trail with this kit. The shocks worked very well too. The load was always settled, not much lean in corners, just handled the weight very well. If only the engine could handle that much of a load as well...

Last edited:
Nice truck. How much lift/which kit?

73, James - KF4AQO Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Tough to say on the lift height. My front end was sitting on the jounce bumpers. Well, there might have been a half inch gap max. The rear was not so bad, maybe 2" off the jounce bumpers.

Now I have 3" or so between the front axle and bumpers. The back is more than that. I don't know where it was when it was stock so it's hard to say how much lift it has over a stock vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Frank

It does help, thanks.

73, James - KF4AQO Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

I figured I'd update this thread with some current pics for those searching for information.

I had an issue with the front springs which Hell Creek warrantied promptly free of cost. They have very good customer service. During discussions I got the go ahead from them to run run some longer shackles. Here is the truck with Daystar +1" shackles, everything else as the kit was when it arrived. I really like the kit even more now. In fact I think these shackles complete the package. I would say it has to have 3" of lift. It's always hard to judge when you are comparing to 27 year old flattened out springs but it's come some clearance under it now. It rides better with these shackles and flexes really well. I could get a little more out of it with longer shocks but I'm in no rush. I'm a happy customer.

Total cost was $960 for the kit and an additional $150 for the shackles. Best part is it's all made in the USA.

Now for some pictures.

2012-04-12_14-23-29_390.jpg

2012-04-12_14-21-35_563.jpg

2012-04-12_14-21-46_250.jpg

2012-04-12_14-21-56_579.jpg

2012-04-12_14-21-23_193.jpg

Frank

Are they still making this kit? No listing on their website.

Yep. I traded emails with them just this week and just found it on their site. You have to click those arrows to scroll over to Toyota and it's there. They make kits for 40's, FJ's, etc... as well as the 60/62.

Frank

Yep. I traded emails with them just this week and just found it on their site. You have to click those arrows to scroll over to Toyota and it's there. They make kits for 40's, FJ's, etc... as well as the 60/62.

Frank

Did that and nothing came up when I clicked on FJ60/62.
Shot 'em an email. We'll see. Got a buddy that has no money and crap stock springs.

That's weird. Click "all", then 2.5" and so on.

It's not the easiest to navigate site. You might google for a coupon code too and give it a try.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom