Helicoil Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,
Hopefully a quick question for you all. I am leaking oil out of my TC because I over torqued and stripped the threads on a bolt. Given my other modifications the TC is mounted to the frame with an adaptor that replaces the rear "cone". I think it should be an easy fix by drilling and inserting a helicoil or simular product. I am mostly sure there is enough material to be able to drill and tap for this but I have to check again.

So here is my question.

Before I dig into this project, and occupy our single garage for a few days. Is a helicoil the right way to go for this repair? Is there another product? I hope to do this without removing the TC. Is this possible?

Thanks for your assistance.

Top rear of the tcase. To the upper left of the rear output. Where can you get the timesert product?

If there is room for a helicoil, why not just upsize that bolt and ream out the rear mount hole? You are already reaming and tapping the hole 1 size larger to install the helicoil.

Top rear of the tcase. To the upper left of the rear output. Where can you get the timesert product?

Many places. Have you tried putting timesert in google?

I did google, and found a vendor in my town. My bad for asking before looking.

I am hoping that with a insert secured in the hole I can achieve a stronger thread and avoid problem with the two metals as an insurance against my own ability to mess things up.

I bought an M12 x 1.25 kit and was impressed with the product. Their website is very informative. I have a great propensity for messing things up (timesert is a big hint) but once installed per instructions, the insert will work fine. Helicoils have a history of reversing out. These won't.

Howdy! If your going to drill out the hole for a larger size for an insert, just drill and tap it for the next size up. The case is aluminum and very easy to work. I have used the AA transfer case mount and had the same problem with threads failing. Not that hard to repair on the rig. John

If I drill and tap the aluminum, my concern is that I will cause weakness in the tcase, the timesert or simular product should help recover some structural strength, right? How much material do I have to work with there? Its been a while since I was up close and personal with my tcase. My questions are from a planing ahead aspect right now. Don't worry, the aww shucks, now what? posts will follow soon enough.

If I drill and tap the aluminum, my concern is that I will cause weakness in the tcase, the timesert or simular product should help recover some structural strength, right? How much material do I have to work with there? Its been a while since I was up close and personal with my tcase. My questions are from a planing ahead aspect right now. Don't worry, the aww shucks, now what? posts will follow soon enough.
That 6 bolt flange on the back of the transfer case was originally designed to support a pto and/ or overdrive unit. It's pretty heavy and thick. I'm sure that I'm not the only guy that has drilled and tapped up a size on one of these, but so far I have never heard of anyone having structural failure from it. Good luck either way. It's always fun to work overhead with a drill. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom