Heli Coil Shop near Charlotte NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone recommend a good machine shop to helicoil a spark plug anywhere around the Charlotte area?

TIA!

Not that close to CLT but Renaissance Auto in Cary NC took care of me. Jay there has a jig to assure that the bore is correctly aligned when they are cutting the threads for the time-sert--may be worth asking whatever shop you go with whether they have some type of similar set up (as opposed to just eyeballing it and hoping its straight).

Also consider posting in the NC clubhouse--there are a bunch of people from CLT there.

I came across this recently.

“Spark plug holes
Also, for spark plug hole thread repair, a special thread chaser is available that will clean and re-form the existing spark plug hole threads without cutting (so no metal chips will be dropped inside the cylinder). An example is the 14 mm spark plug thread chaser offered by Goodson Shop Supplies as P/N SPB-14.”

Sounds intriguing.

Before coming to the conclusion that my threads were irrevocably f#$%ed I tried one of these. It is a bit of a pain to use due to how deep the plugs are set into the head but a back tap will cut your threads and pull all the crap out rather than leaving it in the cylinder (if you are careful and use plenty of grease to catch filings).

Amazon product ASIN B0014FGVVW

Before coming to the conclusion that my threads were irrevocably f#$%ed I tried one of these. It is a bit of a pain to use due to how deep the plugs are set into the head but a back tap will cut your threads and pull all the crap out rather than leaving it in the cylinder (if you are careful and use plenty of grease to catch filings).

Amazon product ASIN B0014FGVVW
That’s good to know. Thanks

Whoa Trollholes seems dope wicked. I ended up taking it to Renaissance auto where Jay and co successfully did a time-sert job! after the fix they did notice the cel light cut back on and the engine still misfire. upon further investigation he saw the injector connectors were not plugged in on the entire bay due to faulty clips perhaps from a previous fix. Crazy to believe this happened as its only ever been dealer serviced except maybe 4 oil changes and no other major issues since I've had it. This find fixed the misfire issue and all is good again.

One thing i wanted to ask is if its wise to change all coil packs? most guidance suggests one at a time but just wanted to see if its overkill or warranted.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom