HEI Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
sf4wheel.alloffroad.com
I have a 73 FJ40 with the stock F engine in it. The previous owner put an HEI distributor in it, but I don't have a clue what it came from. A while back I lost all spark in the ignition. I went through it and started replacing everything including: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and ignition module. Finally pulled the distributor and found that the pickup coil was wasted. I replaced it with a new one that I hoped was the right one. It was for a 6 cylinder HEI distributor. Putting it all back together I broke a centrifugal weight. I searched several salvage yards for replacement weights with no luck. So I ended up buying an advance kit from O'Reillys and put it in. The thing fired up finally, but now it won't rev up at all. I checked that the vacuum advance was working by sucking on the hose while it idled. The idle picked up a little and you could give it a little gas but still not full throttle. I just can't seem to figure out why it's not running right. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

There are two types of HEI 6 cylinder distributers, even fire and odd fire. I want to say the pickups are the same. It's the reluctor wheel on the shaft that's different. I don't know for sure though. you could call a parts store and see if they list a different part number for the I-6 to the early v-6s.
With a timing light you should be able to see the timing mark advance when you apply vacuum. If you disconnect the vacuum and rev, you should also see the timing mark move as the mechanical advance works.
Take the cap and rotor off and apply vacuum. Does the plunger move the plate? I've seen the plate get bound up because the pickup or module was put in wrong.
Don't discount other sources of the no rev either. Sometimes other stuff will happen to drive you nuts. Is it getting enough fuel/ air?

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom