hei igntionand clutch fan.. worth it on a 78??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all, i recently was chatting with another cruiser owner with a 72 and he was telling me his favorite bang for the buck mods. he said by far the best mod was hei elc ignition. i realize his 72 is different than my 78 but would a hei igntion system benifit starting and running on a 78 to justify the cost? he also stated he rebuilt his center arm assy to get rid of slop and added a heavy duty steering stabilizer which i am planning on doing very shortly. 3rd question. is a clutch fan assy a good mod on these trucks? i notice the fan is mounted to run full speed all the time. is that a normal way these run? thanx in advance for helping with newbie questions.

Isn't a 78 full electronic ignition already? I wouldn't see a need to switch unlike a 72 which runs points where it might help

What engine, any pics? Yes a fan clutch is better

HEI is not necessary, you should have electronic ignition already and HEI doesn't add anything to a tractor motor.
Rebuilding all steering joints is a definite value adding activity.
A heavy duty steering stabilizer is just a bandaid for sloppy steering, imo. Do the above work first and then they think about it.
Clutch fan is a good upgrade.

I 2nd the clutch fan and FWIW I have never had a steering stabilizer on my 40 not when it was SU on 31's or SOA on 38's, steering stabilizers, IMO, just mask the road feel and the steering wheel input from your tires is good to feel it lets you know whats going on, why would you want to dampen that ???

thanx for the replies, i assumed the 78 was already elc ignition but read the hei system is a much stronger spark perhaps makng starting better. glad to know its not worth the effort on 78 and up models, i adjusted my steering box and center arm today and it made a nice difference in the slop i was suffering from, not perfect but much better. going to look into the clutch fan assy. is there any that u guys reccoemend or have heard good things about or is it trial and error to see what ones will bolt on etc. luv this group and the helpful responses.

Leave the ignition alone, make sure it works and out in oem plug wires and fresh plugs - leave it be then make sure timing is set correctly.

I thought all US ‘78s had clutch fans but I could be wrong? If not, clutch fan is a good upgrade, but again, not necessary.

Leave the ignition alone, make sure it works and out in oem plug wires and fresh plugs - leave it be then make sure timing is set correctly.

I thought all US ‘78s had clutch fans but I could be wrong? If not, clutch fan is a good upgrade, but again, not necessary.
i havent looked at the fan very close so maybe its a clutch fan but its siezed on full, it wont move on its own. i checked it as its starting to get cold here in bc canada in the monrings and this rig takes foreverrrrrr and a day to get to operating temps. like drive it down the road for about 4 miles and gauge barely moves.

i havent looked at the fan very close so maybe its a clutch fan but its siezed on full, it wont move on its own. i checked it as its starting to get cold here in bc canada in the monrings and this rig takes foreverrrrrr and a day to get to operating temps. like drive it down the road for about 4 miles and gauge barely moves.
You might not have a thermostat in the housing or the seal above tstat is missing.

hi all, i recently was chatting with another cruiser owner with a 72 and he was telling me his favorite bang for the buck mods. he said by far the best mod was hei elc ignition. i realize his 72 is different than my 78 but would a hei igntion system benifit starting and running on a 78 to justify the cost? he also stated he rebuilt his center arm assy to get rid of slop and added a heavy duty steering stabilizer which i am planning on doing very shortly. 3rd question. is a clutch fan assy a good mod on these trucks? i notice the fan is mounted to run full speed all the time. is that a normal way these run? thanx in advance for helping with newbie questions.

- you would be ill-advised to follow ANY non-oem toyota ignition system so-called upgrade or update , if you choose poorly here , you will find out why i say what i say here in the shorter term rather then the latter .......

- the simple school of thought of incorporating ANY NON-OEM Toyota major system circuit such as a WEBBER Carburetor in nothing less then a down grade to a lesser viable technology , in a stone age format where you might begin to wonder why there are not really any 1978 big 3 GM Mopar or fords running around on the roads anymore , but your 1978 land cruiser will continue to last the tests of time IF properly taken care of and well maintained ..

- - what is wrong about your 1978 oem Toyota ignition system now ?

- i am going to take a LEAP here , and say you might have a NON-USA import varity 1978 FJ40 , such as a south America spec. one , ?

because however indeed possible it is on the micro-fiche to actually have a 1978 2F North American Spec. DIRECT DRIVE water pump and fan set up , i believe

from my own personal experience the direct drives were all phased out by then , ONLY still remaining in a FJ55 2F till 8/80

- or maybe you have a FJ55 Donor 2F and don't even know that maybe ?

- lastly , do u have a YES oil cooler option 2F or a NO oil cooler option 2F ?

- my 1983 FJ43L-KC general countries spec. has a direct drive , YES oil cooler option water pump / NO fan clutch set up , and would have it NO other way Period

- you should post a bunch like MANY TECH pics of your new to you 1978 FJ40 , and folks will help you sort out your questions here on MUD , because that what we do ...

- Please review the TECH VIDEO below , i have designed a 100% TOYOTA OEM Genuine NipponDenso Japan spec. parts all inclusive plug and play 2F and F1.5 Ignition system , that has all the water proof features you could hope for and dream of , and a Ignition Distributer and COIL assy . that is TOUGH as NAILS and i would absolutely
put it toe to toe with ANY aftermarket HEI Monkey business system out there period

- for both long term reliability and over all performance also ...

- it consists of many NON-USA Smog-Free Parts , which in-turn = MORE HP and bang for your TEq Bucks

hope this helps ,

and

WELCOME TO MUD ! :)

kindly ,
matt

You might not have a thermostat in the housing or the seal above tstat is missing.
thats a good point, i remeber doing that in a old honda car i had was to remove the tstat. do these trucks have a recoemeded tstat?180 or 190 or 195. ill grab one today and see if mine is missing, this thing takes as long as my cummins to warm up.....

- you would be ill-advised to follow ANY non-oem toyota ignition system so-called upgrade or update , if you choose poorly here , you will find out why i say what i say here in the shorter term rather then the latter .......

- the simple school of thought of incorporating ANY NON-OEM Toyota major system circuit such as a WEBBER Carburetor in nothing less then a down grade to a lesser viable technology , in a stone age format where you might begin to wonder why there are not really any 1978 big 3 GM Mopar or fords running around on the roads anymore , but your 1978 land cruiser will continue to last the tests of time IF properly taken care of and well maintained ..

- - what is wrong about your 1978 oem Toyota ignition system now ?

- i am going to take a LEAP here , and say you might have a NON-USA import varity 1978 FJ40 , such as a south America spec. one , ?

because however indeed possible it is on the micro-fiche to actually have a 1978 2F North American Spec. DIRECT DRIVE water pump and fan set up , i believe

from my own personal experience the direct drives were all phased out by then , ONLY still remaining in a FJ55 2F till 8/80

- or maybe you have a FJ55 Donor 2F and don't even know that maybe ?

- lastly , do u have a YES oil cooler option 2F or a NO oil cooler option 2F ?

- my 1983 FJ43L-KC general countries spec. has a direct drive , YES oil cooler option water pump / NO fan clutch set up , and would have it NO other way Period

- you should post a bunch like MANY TECH pics of your new to you 1978 FJ40 , and folks will help you sort out your questions here on MUD , because that what we do ...

- Please review the TECH VIDEO below , i have designed a 100% TOYOTA OEM Genuine NipponDenso Japan spec. parts all inclusive plug and play 2F and F1.5 Ignition system , that has all the water proof features you could hope for and dream of , and a Ignition Distributer and COIL assy . that is TOUGH as NAILS and i would absolutely
put it toe to toe with ANY aftermarket HEI Monkey business system out there period

- for both long term reliability and over all performance also ...

- it consists of many NON-USA Smog-Free Parts , which in-turn = MORE HP and bang for your TEq Bucks

hope this helps ,

and

WELCOME TO MUD ! :)

kindly ,
matt

whoaaaaa thanx soooo much matt. luv this video. very informative. where in canada can i get this kit? wow. thanx so much for the reply and and great post. i love oem but i am open to any aftermarket recomendations u guys that have been there done that have to say.

thats a good point, i remeber doing that in a old honda car i had was to remove the tstat. do these trucks have a recoemeded tstat?180 or 190 or 195. ill grab one today and see if mine is missing, this thing takes as long as my cummins to warm up.....

its common for the thermostat to become STUCK OPEN in the heat of summer

then come winter , you WILL experience the exact same symptoms you are experiencing 100%

one main cause of this is possibly worded above by you ?

- where do u plan to " ll grab one today " 🤔

whoaaaaa thanx soooo much matt. luv this video. very informative. where in canada can i get this kit? wow. thanx so much for the reply and and great post. i love oem but i am open to any aftermarket recomendations u guys that have been there done that have to say.

right here right now .........:cool:🍻

1557320401346 - Copy - Copy (2).png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom