Heavy Steering / Trans Tune Flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay cool. At work till 5p today, got a cruiser meet so I'll try to snap some photos then.

Also need to mention the steering column part can be found on Ebay but have heard from local reputable independent mechanics that it's a dealer-only part which means $$$$ - still unsure of part number though

Still hard to steer. Planning to check the steering column tomorrow. I purchased a new PS pump and was planning to install this weekend, but on Wednesday out of nowhere it was a breeze to drive. ???? But then today it was back to heavy... Could a bad pump have brief periods of functionality like that?

Also, outer TREs were shot. Replaced. During the process I found the inners were shot too. If the steering is still bad after replacing the pump then I'll replace the entire rack, and from what I gather the rack often comes with inner TREs. If the pump fixes it then I'll just replace the inners on their own.

Update:
Replaced the PS pump. No change. During the process I did find that my serpentine belt is shot and so are my tensioner and idler pulleys. After some reading online it seems that having a bad belt and pulleys would contribute to difficult steering. I'm hopeful.
And I checked the steering column. No issues. Super clean actually.

Second update:
Has anyone had any experience with a bad PS air control valve? From a quick search online, it looks like this could easily contribute to heavy steering. Not a cheap product, unfortunately :(

Last edited:
Third update:
Replaced serp belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley. Definitely made an improvement, but still heavier than it should be. Also replaced inner and outer TREs, which were shot, and got an alignment. Still heavier than it should be. Pretty convinced it is the control valve.

Still heavier than it should be. Pretty convinced it is the control valve.

The control valve 'leaks' some air into the plenum to increase the idle speed. If you suspect the valve is a problem, you can remove the hose to the plenum from the valve and see if that makes steering easier. See the picture below. If it is not leaking from the ATF side to the air side, it is probably fine.

PS_air_control_valve.png

The control valve 'leaks' some air into the plenum to increase the idle speed. If you suspect the valve is a problem, you can remove the hose to the plenum from the valve and see if that makes steering easier. See the picture below. If it is not leaking from the ATF side to the air side, it is probably fine.

View attachment 2384536
Worth a shot. Only trouble is that I have a stripped screw on the engine cover, so I can't trace the correct hose to remove. Can you identify it from this picture? Front (1) or back (2) hose?

IMG_20200726_151013~2.jpg

Just checked: on my vehicle it is #1. But it seems the valve is rotated a bit further and on my vehicle #1 is actually a bit lower.

If they have ever been removed it could be either of the two. So probably best to just try it. You should feel a vacuum on the one that connects to the manifold.

Btw: if seller said the rack has been replaced recently. How come your inner TRE's already needed replacement? Don't most racks come with new TRE's installed?

Just checked: on my vehicle it is #1. But it seems the valve is rotated a bit further and on my vehicle #1 is actually a bit lower.

If they have ever been removed it could be either of the two. So probably best to just try it. You should feel a vacuum on the one that connects to the manifold.
I removed hose 1. Didn't feel any vacuum and didn't feel any change in the steering. Maybe hose 2 is the right one?

if seller said the rack has been replaced recently. How come your inner TRE's already needed replacement? Don't most racks come with new TRE's installed?
Yes. Very good point.

Yes. Very good point.
Just saw that note. Missed it earlier.

Right, I agree. It is odd. I replaced the outers because I saw they were shot. When I was in there I noticed the inners were bad too. I hadn't ordered any because I figured the new rack come with new inners.
Either way, I know the rack is not original. It is a different brand and had different boots with zip tied clamps instead of the OEM steel ones.

@Beto Cruiser Based on everything you’ve said here, it doesn’t sound like PO was honest with you. Your rack doesn’t seem new or OEM, and that may be the primary problem.

@Beto Cruiser Based on everything you’ve said here, it doesn’t sound like PO was honest with you. Your rack doesn’t seem new or OEM, and that may be the primary problem.

Certainly looks like it! Also, you can test if the valve is not functioning by raising the idle RPM a few hundred rpm and then test the force required to steer. If there is no change, it is not caused by the idle-up valve not doing its job. Are you only having steering issues at idle?

I would start by raising the front of the vehicle and test the steering force required with the wheels of the ground and the engine off. This would exclude any binding of the rack and column. If that all feels OK, then you have a problem with the hydraulic steering assist to the rack. Because the pump is new, it is most likely caused by a faulty power steering control valve in the rack. Fluid could bypass from inlet to outlet because of a leaking seals in the valve or the torsion bar has failed.

I hear you, but I've inspected the rack. It's a Maval 9295. There is a sticker on it and it looks identical.
I've read that you replace a rack when it leaks. That's the sign. Does a bad rack lead to heavy steering, or just leaks?

I've read that you replace a rack when it leaks. That's the sign. Does a bad rack lead to heavy steering, or just leaks?
Leaking only indicates that a seal is bad, not necessarily that the rack is bad. Jerky or stiff steering, grinding while turning the wheel, or no steering all indicate rack is bad.

Leaking only indicates that a seal is bad, not necessarily that the rack is bad. Jerky or stiff steering, grinding while turning the wheel, or no steering all indicate rack is bad.
I'm going to take that as cautious optimism. My steering resembles none of those symptoms. If this new valve doesn't fix it, then the final players are the rack and the tubing. And I hesitate to think it's the tubing.

Valve is a moot point now. Couldn't get the old one off. Mostly rounded it too. Probably gonna have to cut it, but I'll have to remove the pump discharge tubing to do it since there isn't much room down there to work on it.
Probably still salvageable, and pump is easy to remove (but messy!). Keep us updated. I still suspect PO didn’t give you accurate info and rack may very well be the culprit of your issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom