Heavy gear shift after hitting water (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon y'all!

I have a 2010 J200 with approximately 180K miles on it. To my knowledge, it's never been used to tow, and I don't think any of the three prior owners took it off-road. In the last few weeks, I've noticed my stick shift is much heavier shifting between gears after hitting some water. We're talking deeper puddles on a street not fording a creek or something like that. After a few hours things return to normal. So, I'm not too worried about it, but just wanted to ask the audience if they've experienced something like this.

I've tried searching this forum and on the internet, but came up empty. So, Regis, I'm gonna use a lifeline and ask the audience. Thanks folks for your help!

Not much experience with manual transmissions in the 200s around here, but in general my first place to look would be fluid level and condition. Or consider just changing it if it hasn’t been done recently.

It is possible the fluid is doing something strange in the synchros that are supposed to make shifting easier as it warms up.

Im assuming you have an automatic. And yes, the shift lever becomes very stiff after deep water fording, heavy rain driving, etc. i found this to be true in my LX570 and my Land Cruiser. It does not occur in my 100 so appears to be a condition confined to the 200 series. The issue doesn’t last long before it goes back to normal.

Not much experience with manual transmissions in the 200s around here, but in general my first place to look would be fluid level and condition. Or consider just changing it if it hasn’t been done recently.

It is possible the fluid is doing something strange in the synchros that are supposed to make shifting easier as it warms up.

It's an automatic. Thanks for your thoughts.

Im assuming you have an automatic. And yes, the shift lever becomes very stiff after deep water fording, heavy rain driving, etc. i found this to be true in my LX570 and my Land Cruiser. It does not occur in my 100 so appears to be a condition confined to the 200 series. The issue doesn’t last long before it goes back to normal.
Thanks!

This has been disc in another thread here about potential causes. I’ve had the same issue in 2015. after deep puddle crossings in town and even after sitting at the airport for a week in heavy rain. It’s been discussed about a link to a dirty MAF sensor, yet nothing definitive... but come to think of it as I type I had a MAF cleaning at 95k and I’ve not had the issue since. Hmmmmmm....

This has been disc in another thread here about potential causes. I’ve had the same issue in 2015. after deep puddle crossings in town and even after sitting at the airport for a week in heavy rain. It’s been discussed about a link to a dirty MAF sensor, yet nothing definitive... but come to think of it as I type I had a MAF cleaning at 95k and I’ve not had the issue since. Hmmmmmm....
Ive had this issue with my LC and LX since new. I think it has something to do with the shift linkage but it has not been a chronic problem so didn’t pursue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom