Heavy Duty Rear Control Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FirstToy said:
All the IFS long travel use uniball UCA's... I don't think it's a problem for street use (then again, maybe it's a don't ask/dont tell thing)

I'll spare you the long and sordid history, but suffice it to say that in the Jeep world heims, including the highest quality available, were tried extensively by major offroad manufacturers in the late '90's when the TJ hit the market. I only know of one who still uses them in control arms, and that is Skyjacker, and Skyjacker does all kinds of crazy sh$t. Johnnie joints are pretty much a standard.

The reason to use heims these days centers around load bearing. You see them in buggies, because at 1" or so the load ratings are unreal. You really can't compare solid axle control arms to IFS suspension components. There is nothing wrong with heims, but you'll be greasing them weekly and they are highly unlikely to last a lot of road miles. It's just a reality of the design.

Nay

Has anyone experimented with an angled LCA for better clearence?

reararm.JPG

I've seen a few that look like that. But I don't think they were supposed to.....:eek: :eek:

cruiserdan said:
I've seen a few that look like that. But I don't think they were supposed to.....:eek: :eek:

I own a couple that resemble that :hillbilly

alia176 said:
Why the need for such heavy duties? Specially, for an on roader, low rider, go fast rig like yours, I don't see anything to be gained from spherical ends. :confused:

just changing stuff to change stuff I think. I think that's his whole point towards the truck, swap out as much of the factory parts with whatever you can find whereever you find it.

But it just might be me as he hasn't bought my seat mod yet.

TiredIronGRB said:
Has anyone experimented with an angled LCA for better clearence?

reararm.JPG

I imagine as long as you compensate for loss in length due to the bend, those LCAs look to be a good upgrade to avoid bending them as easily on rocks.

Angled LCA? Very common with LRs.... I ran a set of these in my RR. Very beefy and and has varying thickness spacers to move the pinion up/down. They made great sliders :D

Ali
RT_1.jpg
rearlinkinstalled.jpg

after bending the rear factory control arms as easy as paper clips on a little venture out and about the sierras circa 3AM, I went with the SLEE heavy duty arms, and I have not been able to destroy them yet, and trust me I do give destructive testing a very valiant effor any chance I get. So my vot is on SLEE rear HD control arms. They are also a breeze to install.

concretejungle said:
I personally like the flexyness of the MAF but slee has the adjustability. So buy the MAF and then add slee's adjustable link in them and you have the best of both worlds. IMHO

be careful with adjustable lowers. a 1/2" longer and those of you with 37" tires will take out the back of the fender well. it's safer to do pinion adjustments with adjustable upper links.
Toyota was quite precise when they determined the correct length for the lowers.

lcwizard said:
johnny joints won't work because the largest one (3") only has a 3/4 thru hole. because a pair of misalignment bushings are required with an 18mm thru hole
a one inch thru hole is needed so we use a 1" rod end

I was wondering if the metric vs US sizes was the issue after I posted....it's all good until you can't make stuff fit :doh: . That's too bad. So you are using a 1" thread/1" bore rod end with the misalignment spacers to take the 1" bore down to 18mm?

Does MAF warranty the rod ends for wear? If so, for how long? You guys have any good data sets on how long they are lasting in mixed use for say 10K miles per year and 10 offroad trips?

I get the point about long term mount stress...but haven't seen reports of failures around here. Is is the frame mounts or axle mounts?

I think you guys need to get a johnny joint manufacturer to spit out some metric sizes :D . You'd think everybody drove Jeeps or something.

Nay

I know this won't interest you LX_TREME but any way.
After pretzeling mine I straightened it out using a couple of bits of wood and a sledge hammer. I then stitch welded 30x30x3 angle iron to the arm to strengthen them. I play hard and haven't bent them yet. They don't look pretty but they do the job and didn't cost much, just the price of the angle.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Last I checked Jeeps used metric bolts...

13/16" on the lower control arms. How quickly you forget :flipoff2:

That has me wondering how we got away with JJ, though...if we take at face value that the largest JJ bore is 3/4"...

Mickldo said:
I know this won't interest you LX_TREME but any way.
After pretzeling mine I straightened it out using a couple of bits of wood and a sledge hammer. I then stitch welded 30x30x3 angle iron to the arm to strengthen them. I play hard and haven't bent them yet. They don't look pretty but they do the job and didn't cost much, just the price of the angle.

Prior to getting the MAF arms, that's exactly what I did, too (welded angle iron) after a miscommunication with a guy named Steel Bender at Moab.

Dave

4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
Prior to getting the MAF arms, that's exactly what I did, too (welded angle iron) after a miscommunication with a guy named Steel Bender at Moab.

Dave

Mine was a miscommunication with a guy named Cruiser Canyon at LCMP.;)

Panhards are an excellent place to run rod ends (no side to side play from a bushing and they last pretty long). NICE to see this on the market.

Nay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom