heavy duty gas tank skid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After looking around I noticed that I couldn't find an aftermarket gas tank skid, which I though was kind of surprising, it seems like a million companies offer them for the 120/ 150 series. The snows starting to melt here in Montana and I'm starting to think about the trail more. It seems like the previous owner scraped the skid a couple times and I was wondering if anyone had any DIY solutions for this. OR maybe I'm just over thinking it and there's a very good reason why no one runs a 1/4" skid.

thanks!

I don't know if it's needed. The front end and transfer case take the brunt of the abuse and you can get nice skid plates for them at Slee. If you're in a situation where you're worried about breakover angle, I would think you'd crunch your driveshaft/muffler first as they are lower hanging fruit. Maybe someone who has modded their 80 for rock crawling/Rubicon can offer more insight.

If you spend enough time in the rocks, you will ding the existing fuel tank skid.
Quite honestly I never saw the need for anything else, but that's not to say that you shouldn't keep looking.

Totally agree. But dings are one thing. the need for 1/4" steel protection is quite another!

It’s good to know that most people never touch the skid. I was just curious because most of the people with 4runners and fjs that I’ve met in the local club all run gas tank skids. Their tank definitely hangs lower, with that being said though. When I bough my 80 I noticed that the previous owner definitely hit the thing🤷🏽‍♀️

Hmmm...the HDJ 80 also has one, or rather something that resembles one, and for sure it has taken a few beatings.

Probably due to the environment the diesels were expected to be used?

regards

Dave

Here's the pic of my crash pan. Happens to be off at the moment after an electrolysis tank de-rusting and paint up last summer. It looks great now (but really dusty), incredible how much this pieces rusted.
Fuel tand crash pan.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to dent my gas tank but it took a lot of “stupidity” to do it and that was the only time I’ve ever touched the gas tank in 5 years of wheeling rocks.

On that note, I’m about to drop my tank for maintenance purposes and was thinking of beefing up the existing protection while it was out. Based on the fact I’ve only ever come down on the gas tank one time, I’m not sure the weight penalty would be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom