Heavy Duty Flywheel Inspection Cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
My recent wheeling adventure exposed a potential weak point in my 1981 FJ40 underbody.
I got myself hungup HARD on a rock right up on my inspection cover and my oil pan. I dented the oil pan and crushed the inspection cover so bad I was throwing sparks and had to peal the cover open to clear the flywheel.

There isn't much space in the area to mount a skid plate that wouldn't interfere with the front DS. So, has anyone seen or built a heavy duty (think ruffstuff style diff cover) inspection cover for their rig?

Kind of a narrow spot to hit. Why not a transmission/oil pan skid, that connects from the transfer case skid, and has other mounts up by the engine mounts on the frame.

Kind of a narrow spot to hit. Why not a transmission/oil pan skid, that connects from the transfer case skid, and has other mounts up by the engine mounts on the frame.

Yeah, I have a transmission crossmember under my 40, just like the FJ60/62. I've considered fabbing a new transmission mount that would double as a skidplate, but I thought that might be overkill.
The critical piece would be finding a suitable transmission mount (the rubber part) that would allow for a custom crossmember.

Last edited:

Hmmmm, Maybe I have a cool job for @OTRAMM , to come up with a 40/60 lowprofile transmission crossmember/skidplate using his ginormous shop press.

Kind of like this: Superior Crossmember Transfer Case Suitable For Toyota Hilux/4Runner/Surf (Solid Front) | Superior Engineering

Hilux%20crossmember%20wat-800x600.jpg

Certainly doable. Just not sure when .I rebent one of @TRFCSUX skid plates yesterday to make it line up.

Meh, we can work out a time in the future... I haven't even come up with the design yet... But, it might be pretty f-ing cool!

I'm thinking like this:
ucf-deep-cover-skid-plate-system.jpg

RH-6003-3.jpg

Make it go all the way up past the oil pan sump.

Slight hijack...those tapered bolt mounts that protect the head, are they something off the shelf like a weld washer or something one off custom?

Marlin sells a nice heavy duty mount for this. I was going to use on the 62 but it was not in stock , shocker I know. Ryan can press , bend,shape ,crush anything you could need. Just can’t be any longer than he is tall.

Marlin sells a nice heavy duty mount for this. I was going to use on the 62 but it was not in stock , shocker I know. Ryan can press , bend,shape ,crush anything you could need. Just can’t be any longer than he is tall.
LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom