Heavier, stronger aftermarket suspension setup available for 100 series? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will you be building here in the US and then driving/shipping to Costa Rica?

You might be able to import from Australia if not have access to the local market 105 series? I believe this would include a solid front axle and the diesel engine option?

Will you be building here in the US and then driving/shipping to Costa Rica?

You might be able to import from Australia if not have access to the local market 105 series? I believe this would include a solid front axle and the diesel engine option?
Can't have RHD, which is my predicament. Building in USA.

For the right price you could find a triple locked 80 on MUD that you could swap in a diesel, add a long range tank and you'd be done..feel free to send me a PM and we can talk. Currently running a 2UZ V8
1568634236618.png

Omsok-

IMO you should reconsider your model choice. Better off finding a 78 or 79 series, Hilux or a Prado already in there and up-fitting it there to your specifications. They are lighter, simpler, more robust and will have better chance of access to parts though out Central and South America.

This is your target: 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Hard Top 4 Puertas Suv | PODER EN CADA DETALLE

Omsok-

IMO you should reconsider your model choice. Better off finding a 78 or 79 series, Hilux or a Prado already in there and up-fitting it there to your specifications. They are lighter, simpler, more robust and will have better chance of access to parts though out Central and South America.

This is your target: 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Hard Top 4 Puertas Suv | PODER EN CADA DETALLE
Hi. Thanks. The issue with any of the more modern vehicles is the electronics don’t hold up and parts are difficult to get, take a long time, and are stupid expensive. Benefit of older land cruisers is you can still fix em quite easily. The amount of “modern” vehicles sitting for weeks, months sidelined by electronic problems or waiting for a $3500 steering box is daunting.

Hi. Thanks. The issue with any of the more modern vehicles is the electronics don’t hold up and parts are difficult to get, take a long time, and are stupid expensive. Benefit of older land cruisers is you can still fix em quite easily. The amount of “modern” vehicles sitting for weeks, months sidelined by electronic problems or waiting for a $3500 steering box is daunting.

I'm wondering if an 80 is a better option for you. The 100 has a finicky electric brake system that is really expensive to replace if it breaks. It also has some potential electrical gremlins like the immobilizer system which can be tricky to diagnose and fix without a dealer. I would refer to the 100 as a modern vehicle in that regard.

Fair enough; then you should be looking at a mid 1980's 60 series because they are about as simple as you can get.

But dont fool yourself, everything breaks and will require waiting on imported parts. The 100 series is full of sensitive electronics- and you also be waiting on parts for that; either from USA, Japan or Middle East. In fact any USA spec 40-60-80-100-200 will require importing parts. No one will be stocking parts there beyond maybe oil filters, air filters wiper blades.

I'm wondering if an 80 is a better option for you. The 100 has a finicky electric brake system that is really expensive to replace if it breaks. It also has some potential electrical gremlins like the immobilizer system which can be tricky to diagnose and fix without a dealer. I would refer to the 100 as a modern vehicle in that regard.
The 100 series rolling chassis I am looking at is a Middle east 1HD-FTE. My idea is to drop it into a clean low mileage 80 series, or drop a 100 series body onto it if possible, and then beef up the stock suspension. Electric brake system does not sound exciting, but I am guessing hoping the middle east version may not have this, or back to original idea of dropping the engine into an 80 series.

Fair enough; then you should be looking at a mid 1980's 60 series because they are about as simple as you can get.

But dont fool yourself, everything breaks and will require waiting on imported parts. The 100 series is full of sensitive electronics- and you also be waiting on parts for that; either from USA, Japan or Middle East. In fact any USA spec 40-60-80-100-200 will require importing parts. No one will be stocking parts there beyond maybe oil filters, air filters wiper blades.
Thanks, good point. My personal issue with 60 series is they are so prone to rust and have been since new. This vehicle may be splitting time between Canada and Costa Rica, which are opposite ends of the weather spectrum, but both have high salt content. 80 series is probably best in this regard.

Multi-quote is an awesome feature.
I am not sure if I did that on purpose.

Also not sure if you being serious, or ironic.

:)

Either way I appreciate the kind of feedback and conversation that is coming out of this discussion.

LHD HDJ80....

Thanks, I spoke to the owner. This may be my best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom