Heavier duty ball joints? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have SPC ball joints but I’m now replacing my second set in two years.
This is also my daily, but VT NH class roads are taking their toll. Anything heavier duty without making the daily ride much worse?

Is it a matter of heavier duty or type? There's different types on the market and sealed OEM types may have the edge in long term durability. Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC SPCs are uni-ball type that aren't sealed from the elements and more susceptible to corrosion and wear.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but how often were you greasing these? Just trying to reduce issues with my own is why I’m asking.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but how often were you greasing these? Just trying to reduce issues with my own is why I’m asking.
Grease every 5,000 miles. I’ll check them out when I get the old ones back. Might need higher frequency. I had to have a shop do the work as time was a consideration I don’t have a lot of right now.

Is it a matter of heavier duty or type? There's different types on the market and sealed OEM types may have the edge in long term durability. Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC SPCs are uni-ball type that aren't sealed from the elements and more susceptible to corrosion and wear.
Greasable with a boot.

Grease every 5,000 miles. I’ll check them out when I get the old ones back. Might need higher frequency. I had to have a shop do the work as time was a consideration I don’t have a lot of right now.
How many miles in your two years? I’ve had a SPCs for four years now and 45,000 miles with no issues. All I do is grease them every oil change which isn’t necessarily every 5000 miles I often go a little bit longer. BP-51 2” lift.

Change your arms. Recommend total chaos. SPC is Chinese junk that doesn’t belong on a Japanese cruiser IMO.

How many miles in your two years? I’ve had a SPCs for four years now and 45,000 miles with no issues. All I do is grease them every oil change which isn’t necessarily every 5000 miles I often go a little bit longer. BP-51 2” lift.
About 24,000 I am doing some pretty boulder strewn trails. LOTS of hits.

I'd go with a different UCA than the SPCs. The SPC ball joints are unique to the SPC arms as this is where the adjustment is. I'd go with a fixed upper control arm with a factory style ball joint like the Dobsons. They use 555 joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom