Heating the timing gear cover before but it in place ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
The FSM (EM-76) tell to gradually heat the timing gear cover to 60C (140F).

Why ?

I think that is so it slips over the bearings on the timing gear. If it's not warm it may not fit nicely.

It needs to be heated to remove the "automatic timer" from the cover (according to the manual).

(I've never done it!)

heatTimingCover.jpg

:cheers:
heatTimingCover.jpg

Yes, I know that... but look some page after (EM-76)... it show to heat it before put it back in place.

Anyway, cruiser_guy ... that make sence.

I'm not sure if the guy who make the rebuilt heat the cover before put back in place... I think not...(https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/207628-here-good-one-timer-gear-bearing.html)

Yes. I think this discussion should have been had back then. (I remember that thread/post.)

Looks like when you remove the timing cover, the "automatic timer" will be stuck inside it (so you pull it off the injector pump and upset all the timing relationship at the same time). So to remove the timer from the cover, you need to heat it because aluminium has a higher coefficient of expansion than steel.

But when you are reinstalling things, you must obviously have the timer on the injector pump and all the cogs in place. So the cover needs to be heated to get it to slide easily over the bearing - and then the cover will cool and hold the bearing securely (via contraction as it cools).

Am I right?

But when you are reinstalling things, you must obviously have the timer on the injector pump and all the cogs in place. So the cover needs to be heated to get it to slide easily over the bearing - and then the cover will cool and hold the bearing securely (via contraction as it cools).

Am I right?

I believe that's the idea. That is what I did when I rebuilt the 3B in the FJ55.

I believe that's the idea. That is what I did when I rebuilt the 3B in the FJ55.

Thanks Cruiser_Guy. (At least someone appreciates me :D)

Well, thank for all this information. I'm appreciate ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom