heater problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not the same as the other recent thread.

When idling my heater blows cold although the temp gauge is where it should be..........after I start rolling again and get the RPMs up to driving levels the heater starts blowing again and gets hot enough that it will burn your hand if left by the vent for too long.

could a stuck thermostat be the cause of this??

lunyou

If the engine is at proper temp, then no its not a thermostat problem. It might be your heater control valve, but it sounds like you may need to flush out the coolant system. Are both sets of heater hoses hot, that feed the heater cores hot when the engine is running and temp turned all the way to hot?

Could be air in the system too. And I'm assuming your truck is full of coolant.

I don't see it as a thermostat issue if you are running at 170 degrees or better.

What is the temperature gauge doing? is it showing cold when the heater is cold and showing warm when the heater is hot? If so, then it could be the thermostat stuck open.

If the temperature gauge doesn't change, then I would suspect the water pump or a flow restriction. At low rpm the water pump is pumping less and at a lower pressure than at high rpm. so getting the RPM's up is also pushing more water around.

the temp gauge says it is normal but the air blowing out of the vents is still cold

lunyou

I'm going with air in the system.

The good news is that burping the system is free!

Okay I fixed. it There was alot of air in the system............my cooling system was about 1 almost a gallon low on coolant so I filled it up and now it works great. I am expecting having to put a bit more in due to little air pockets that were bound to be in the system from being low.

lunyou

Okay I fixed. it There was alot of air in the system............my cooling system was about 1 almost a gallon low on coolant so I filled it up and now it works great. I am expecting having to put a bit more in due to little air pockets that were bound to be in the system from being low.

lunyou
GREAT......now why was it leaking?

GREAT......now why was it leaking?

why was it leaking............well that is the big problem that my cruiser has faced since I got it(FREE).

It has a bad head gasket. Its seems to be a cold weather leak since I don't loose much antifreeze in the summer. I know I need to get it fixed but am currently looking for another truck.

Another problem I have noticed. When I fill the radiator up, and then fill the overflow bottle up(I don't fill it quite to the "full" line, after driving for a while and parking I loose quite a bit of antifreeze outof the over bottle's overflow hose. It will do this until it gets rid of quite a bit of fluid and the overflow bottle will not be over the full line. Is this the cooling systems way of "leveling everything out"?

lunyou

Another problem I have noticed. When I fill the radiator up, and then fill the overflow bottle up(I don't fill it quite to the "full" line, after driving for a while and parking I loose quite a bit of antifreeze outof the over bottle's overflow hose. It will do this until it gets rid of quite a bit of fluid and the overflow bottle will not be over the full line. Is this the cooling systems way of "leveling everything out"?

No expert, but I would look at a combo of 3 things:

Air in the system (expanding as it soaks heat out of the engine after shut down).

Rad cap not up to snuff and allowing a lower temp of boiling.

How is your fan clutch (although that should lead to overheating in city traffic)

Also, strong is the water-glycol mix? Maybe you have too low of a boiling point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom