heater options

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by red66toy, Sep 28, 2003.

1. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

I was wondering if there are any aftermarket heaters for FJ40s. My 66 is non factory equipted. There is no hole in the firewall for ducting so I can't use another cruiser heater. There was a heater in it but my damn father took it out to get it fixed but then threw it away because he thought it was useless. I live in northern california so I need one for when it gets cold. Any ideas where I can get a aftermarket heater.

2. godzilla

godzilla

Check out Jegs, flexlite makes a heater they call "The Mojave" heater. 4wheel drive did a write up on it couple of months back. I'm going to get on for my 71'. Its supposed to be very simple to install.

3. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr

There is also a heater craft that looks like it would work fine. I may be installing one this winter. It puts out 28000 BTUs of heat and like 270 CFM of air.

www.heatercraft.com

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
  5. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I searched around for a while, then broke down and got the one from JC Whitney. I had to make up a bracket (to offset it from the firewall and fasten to the original mounting holes. I also had to turn the core around 90 degrees to point the output to the passenger side. Not a difficult modification at all - just a grinder or tin snips is all you need.

I was impressed with how well it works. It is not a bad idea to do a very good flush of the cooling system before you install a new heater. It hurt to spend $140 on such a simple device, but it does work well.

6. red66toy

Thanks for all the help. Until I get the $$ I guess I'll keep a spare sweater in the cruiser. :)

7. red66toy

I just had a thought. Since those aftermarket heaters are just a box with a fan and a core, is it possible to put in a fan in a OEM heater box. So you don't need ducting from the blower but you still have a original look. Is this possible? Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.