heater issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
Drove my NTM 74 piggie home yesterday. Went great, but was a little chilly. The heater seemed to only be blowing cold air (yes the warm pull was pulled) so I turned it off. I felt the pipe going into the heater and it was hot to the touch, so I kicked the fan to high. Hot air! yay! for 5 seconds, then it was cold again. hmm. I could do that over and over...turn it off...wait a bit...then turn the fan on and get hot air for 5 seconds. any clues? Thanks

T

Was the pipe leaving also hot? plugged core? or core that is so full of debris it won't let the heat out of it? Pull the duct and look inside, it the top of the core looks like a dead rat, there's your problem. Plugged core you can try using the CLR flush trick.

didn't check the other pipe

The heating system is very straight forward. Jeff Zepp has this article on his web site about keeping warm in an old cruiser - same information will apply to your pig. As the truck is new to you, a first step would be to make sure the core is clear of any debris, dust and fur.

If that doesn't clear it up, and you decide to go through the control valve, heater core and replace the heater hose - you can put a 1/2" connector on the feed/return lines in the engine compartment to bypass the heaters so that you can stay on the road while you go through the heater system components.

I bet the heater valve or core are plugged up. after a few minutes, the coolant will transfer heat to the core, but b/c the flow is reduced to almost zero, it takes a while. then its reduced to ambient air temps quickly b/c there is not enough coolant flow to keep it warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom