Heater Inlet Pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is a reasonable price for dealer replacement of heater inlet pipe replacement and part?

I am going to replace mine at 128k as a little preventative maintenance.

Tenncrusher

Tenn,

I assume you mean the PHH or "pesky heater hose" at the back of the cylinder head? This is truly one of those cases where you have a 2 dollar part and a hundred dollars to do it.
The factory hose is a 99556-30100. It sells for $2.29. Our shop gets about 120 bucks to replace it if that's all they are doing to the vehicle. In some instances, when the transmission is removed for example, the hose is fairly easy to get to. In those cases our guys will replace it as part of the other job for the cost of the hose only. I did mine myself and it took me about 2 hours. I would suggest that you use a silicone hose and lined clamps.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I think the 120.00 might be worth the money as a little preventative maintenance. I think they fail often?

C-Dan,
When you say"silicone hose, lined clamps"
are you suggesting a hose other than the OEM?
I'm planning a trip to Vegas, in July (nutz , I guess)
and that "PHH" has been on my mind, and I'm not sure if I'll find the time before the trip, to attempt the R/R myself.
Eduardo

I had the trany off twice. I wish I would of read up on the PHH before I dropped the trany the second time.
It looks like the removing the starter would help. right?
kurt

Eduardo,

Yes, I did suggest other than OEM. :eek:

In this case I feel that a silicone hose is a better bet. I have some friends that are police officers. The hoses on the police cars they drive are silicone. That's good enough for me. The drawback is expense and the fact that they abrade more easily than standard heater hose, that is why lined clamps should be used. Standard worm drive clamps will cut into silicone hose quite easily.

Tenn,

This hose will eventually fail on every engine.I think they are suspect above 100,000 miles. I feel that a silicone replacement will last longer than the conventional hose.

Kurt,

I did not remove the starter.

Regards, Dan

That heater hose really isn't that tough. About an hour job from start to finish. A couple of years ago I wrote an e-mail to Christo with a proceedure which he posted but not sure if it is still up there. There really isn't any reason to remove the bolt for the rear bracket and by not doing so actually makes the job easier. Check his tech section, there was a few there but if you need me to elaborate I can.

C-Dan,
I myself have always preffered the OEM pre-formed hoses, vs generic, non-preformed.
I was looking over the tips, and pics @ slee's website, was there any issues useing a non- preshaped hose (kinks)?
Is the real issue with the PHH the extreme heat, and thus the reasoning for a silicone hose? ???
Eduardo

Rick,

That's kinda the way I did it. I guess I'm slower than you ::) . And you are correct about the bolt, leave it in.
Where it ate my lunch was swinging the pipe back into position with the new hose on it. I fought it for about half an hour before my wife(yes that's right)traded off with me and got her smaller hands up in there and slipped it on. She's a mechanical engineer BTW, and she fixes lawn sprinkler systems too :G .

Rick,
I think your post is still up.
Did you use a generic type silicone hose?
Or the OEM?
Eduardo

Eduardo,

The PHH is a straight 2 inch long 5/8 inch I.D. hose. The OEM hose 99556-30100 is 100mm long and has to be cut to length.

And yes, I think it will survive better in that environment. It gets VERY hot in that space. I'm hoping mine will last til overhaul time.

C-Dan,
Now this time I am envious!!
You can get the wife to help work on the cruiser!!
Some guys have all the luck!
Eduardo

I got my hose at the John Deere dealer. It is a high temp hose that they use on the turbo. If it can handle the heat from the turbo, it should take the heat fron the 1fz fine.
kurt

I just used regular hose. Because I'm from the North east we circulate fluid through there part of the year which I think prolongs the life.
If you follow my directions the most important part is to get the new hose ALL the way on the pipe so it is flush with the pipes end. That way you can easily pivot the pipe into position, bolt the top bracket back into place to hold the pipe firmly in place and then push the hose over onto the nipple on the block.

She's a mechanical engineer BTW, and she fixes lawn sprinkler systems too :G .
What does she do? I'm considering majoring in Mechanical Engineering and I've been trying to figure out just what mechanical engineers do. :dunno: It seems that mechanical engineer is a very broad term that covers a lot of different jobs.

Rick,
 One additional little trick to your procedure helped me. After pushing the hose all the way up the pipe, I found it very difficult to push off. I took a bit of liquid dish soap and wiped it on the inside of the hose. It made it slip a bunch easier. It didn't take much and you don't want to get it on the outside cuz it makes it hard to hold onto.

Dan

Crusin,

Right now she is a Domestic engineer. It's a full time job with 2 kids and her volunteer work at the school.
When she got paid for it, she did some stuff with rocket engine mounts for the areospace crowd. I don't know exactly what it was, she starts tossing out all of that load math stuff and I get lost REAL fast...... :dunno:

Crusin,

Right now she is a Domestic engineer. It's a full time job with 2 kids and her volunteer work at the school.
 When she got paid for it, she did some stuff with rocket engine mounts for the areospace crowd. I don't know exactly what it was, she starts tossing out all of that load math stuff and I get lost REAL fast...... :dunno:
Yeah thats some intense stuff...only problem is I'm not particularly math talented, just decent, and most engineers are math whizzes. We'll see I got 2 long years before I actually have to decide.

Well, I took it to the Stealer (sorry Dan) and two mechanics looked it over and could not figure out why I wanted to change it out. I even took pics of it from Slees pages. They said they have never seen one in the shop (large dealership) and that I would know it when it blew. Hummmmmm. I might by the hose and keep in stored in the car so when it does blow I will not be stranded. They said it would run me 250.00. I might get normal mechanic to put a silicon hose on for me the next time I give it to him for a couple of days. I felt like the Toyo guys were trying to shoot straight with me. I wonder if the failure rate is higher where the heat is greater and the use of the heater is less....I live in Nashville.

My ride has 128k, but very well maintained.

Tenncrusher

The service guys get a blank look in their faces when I say the word LAND CRUISER. They don't see very many if any in WisCOWsin.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom