Heater hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 1985 FJ60, I am in the process of replacing all the radiator and heater hoses. My question is... Although it is nice to have a rear heater, I live in North Carolina where it rarely gets very cold....wouldnt it be sufficent to just have the heater under the dashboard, and bypass the rear heater, thus making the heater hose routing much simpler? Its not like Alaska where I live. And I guess a follow up question is... Is that oil cooler thing even necessary? It seems like more of an oil heater to me.

Last edited:
I got rid of my rear heater a long time ago. I never used it either. It takes up a lot of prime storage space under the passenger seat too.

I still have my rear heater and I am even further south, it is going to go one if these days. I want the room under the seat & I don't really see the advantage even if you lived way up north. More rear defrost capability would be appreciated though.

If you live in a climate where you might want it, you will have salt on the roads which rusts out those coolant pipes running underneath to the heater...

Well If anybody is still reading, say if I wanted to get rid of my rear heater, and my oil cooler/heater, and the T in my lower radiator hose.....I guess I could hook the outlet of my Dash heater to the water pump nipple? Dang this should not be so complicated.

Skunk-Works Update Live Real Time :

DHL just delivered this Sample to me , and all i can say is: OM J.I.S. GOD ! :idea:

i am still in the R&D Phase here to be clear but ...................

if every FJ60 2F 's use this particular 2 Port Hose Bib Union , then the options and the sky are the Limit , ..

and of course , it's a NON-USA OEM TOYOTA Part , and plenty more can be had .....

Feelers ?

Feedback ?

Ideas ?

Bring it on :D

im gonna do a stand alone tech thread here in a moment , but this seamed like a relevant place to start .....:)

A5945709-B425-4783-BCE6-DA87027F85B6.jpeg
B2FAE0E7-849F-477C-B17B-6A22C55A2FBA.jpeg
A665B8C3-0EF8-49B4-99B3-FEE05BE77D02.jpeg
0C163EEA-7EBF-4B15-9C3D-B11A525D2284.jpeg

I like your option to bypass but keep in place but I am in TX and would never need the additional heat. I deleted mine about 2 years ago and took it out before I put in new carpet. Less places for a leak and gained a space under my passenger seat. Here is the thread.

I bypassed mine recently because one of the hard lines had rotted thru. Those are not easily replaced.

Pretty simple bypass with a couple of parts needed. Search "rear heater" and there are a couple of informative threads (including the one from John Stanton above).

That being said, if yours is all intact and functional, and you don't need to colonize the under seat space with something else, I would just leave it in place. What's the harm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom