Heater Hose cut and clamped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
picked up a 60 series recently and only just noticed (what i think is) the heater hose has been cut and clamped shut. Why would someone cut it? The only thing I can think of is a faulty thermostat or similar so the heater is always on...?
Would this cause any issues with cooling, engine rarely goes above quarter on the temp gauge..
Appreciate any advice or theories on why this would have been done and the implications.
Many thanks!!!
Michael

Heaterhose.JPG

The heater core is not easy to find new. The easiest option might be to have yours rebuilt by a radiator shop. Around here that runs about $350-$400.

The other option is to do a nicer job of plugging the system.

Also, if your coolant is the color of the inside of that heater hose, you should flush that out.

Hey FJACS mate, thanks for the info, yip she has a bit of work to be done and flushing the coolant was on the cards as yes, thats whats in the system... :/ If I can just neeten it up with no adverse affect / no heater that sounds like the go for now. Thanks so much mate!

Hey FJACS mate, thanks for the info, yip she has a bit of work to be done and flushing the coolant was on the cards as yes, thats whats in the system... :/ If I can just neeten it up with no adverse affect / no heater that sounds like the go for now. Thanks so much mate!

Hey Micheal ,

WELCOME To MUD ............

Here are the 2 hose clamps types & part#'s u will need to make your repairs

use ONLY Toyota Long LIFE FULL Strength Red Antifreeze 00272-1LLAC-01 after your flush

DSCN8362.JPG
DSCN8363.JPG
images369.jpeg

I totally cry BS on the Toyota red antifreeze. The standard green is just as good, cheaper, and available literally everywhere. Just don't mix red with green. A good flush is needed if changing, but you would do this anyway if replacing your antifreeze. I've been running green for 30+ years in my cruisers.

That being said, I do like the Toyota hose clamps.

I totally cry BS on the Toyota red antifreeze. The standard green is just as good, cheaper, and available literally everywhere. Just don't mix red with green. A good flush is needed if changing, but you would do this anyway if replacing your antifreeze. I've been running green for 30+ years in my cruisers.

That being said, I do like the Toyota hose clamps.

The Clamps are Good !

Green Antifreeze is Not Borate-Free ....o_O

DSCN9953.JPG
DSCN9956.JPG
DSCN9957.JPG
DSCN9961.JPG

Last edited:
That is correct. Green antifreeze uses substances like borates, silicates, phosphates, etc. as corrosion inhibitors. Red antifreezes use something else (I think carboxylates) as inhibitors. I believe that is why you should not mix them. I'm sure no expert but I bet others may chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong. All I can say is years of use with no issues. Did red even exist in the early 80's?

Ive been using green antifreeze for years. Has it caused issues? I cannot directly attribute any repairs to the green vs red.

I had ongoing leaks with green, including my original radiator, and then a new OEM radiator that started leaking at 3 years of age. (just my experience-not blaming the leaks to on green, necessarily)
Started using red several years ago, mainly 'cause the cost of RED is the same as green when you factor in that it lasts twice as long.
No issues since then, although again- not sure that the type of antifreeze is the determining factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom