Heater core replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So today I bit the bullet and took out the heater core of my 81 fj60. The first thing I found was the flange that connects the core to the tubing is cracked, and missing part of it. I called a local (60 miles away) repair shop, and he basically told me that it wasn't repairable.
So, I have two questions, first is he correct? Would I be wasting my time and money trying to get it cleaned and pressure tested? And second, where can I find a good replacement for it? I've read that many of the aftermarket cores don't fit the connections properly, and leak after installation.
I flushed quite a bit of sediment out of it, but also know there's still more. Some rust pieces, and some corrosion from the ferrous materials.

1005201031.jpg

1005201101.jpg

1005201031a.jpg

I haven't been able to find one anywhere else.

It doesn't have the foam like the OE, but I just used some high-density adhesive foam roll from Home Depot. Worked great. The pipes that attach are NLA so clean yours up well and get new O rings or have the pipes soldered to the core.

I haven't been able to find one anywhere else.

It doesn't have the foam like the OE, but I just used some high-density adhesive foam roll from Home Depot. Worked great. The pipes that attach are NLA so clean yours up well and get new O rings or have the pipes soldered to the core.

I'll double check, but I think my hoses are still good. I know I need new clamps and O-rings. I just looked at SOR, and it shows they have a core. I'm not sure if it's aftermarket, but it doesn't say OEM, so I'm guessing not. They do have used hoses and clamps, though.

When I was looking for one a few years ago it was "Unobtanium". find a radiator shop that can clean it
out. You'll have to have the pipes brazed or soldered in place. Just make sure their indexed correctly.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom