Heater core replacement (1 Viewer)

So today I bit the bullet and took out the heater core of my 81 fj60. The first thing I found was the flange that connects the core to the tubing is cracked, and missing part of it. I called a local (60 miles away) repair shop, and he basically told me that it wasn't repairable.
So, I have two questions, first is he correct? Would I be wasting my time and money trying to get it cleaned and pressure tested? And second, where can I find a good replacement for it? I've read that many of the aftermarket cores don't fit the connections properly, and leak after installation.
I flushed quite a bit of sediment out of it, but also know there's still more. Some rust pieces, and some corrosion from the ferrous materials.

1005201031.jpg

1005201101.jpg

1005201031a.jpg

Spike Strip

Midnight Rider
SILVER Star
I haven't been able to find one anywhere else.

It doesn't have the foam like the OE, but I just used some high-density adhesive foam roll from Home Depot. Worked great. The pipes that attach are NLA so clean yours up well and get new O rings or have the pipes soldered to the core.

I haven't been able to find one anywhere else.

It doesn't have the foam like the OE, but I just used some high-density adhesive foam roll from Home Depot. Worked great. The pipes that attach are NLA so clean yours up well and get new O rings or have the pipes soldered to the core.

I'll double check, but I think my hoses are still good. I know I need new clamps and O-rings. I just looked at SOR, and it shows they have a core. I'm not sure if it's aftermarket, but it doesn't say OEM, so I'm guessing not. They do have used hoses and clamps, though.

BGarcia88FJ62

SILVER Star
When I was looking for one a few years ago it was "Unobtanium". find a radiator shop that can clean it
out. You'll have to have the pipes brazed or soldered in place. Just make sure their indexed correctly.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom