Heater core question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know if the 96/97 heater core will work in the 95 heater box? If I get the 2 extra pipes?

Or does anyone have a new aftermarket or new oem for sale for a 95.

I think I bought the last OEM (or one of the last) "old" heater cores in 2016. It was purchased out of Dubai. It was actually my brass pipe that was leaking.

To answer your question, no. The old core was a double (and brass), the new core is single and aluminum. You have to find a "yota yard" core or get a "new" heater box and then you can get a new heater core. I got my brass pipe from death valley paul. Maybe you could make a frame out of wood or something and put some foam on the side to make up the difference?

EDIT: depending on how bad it is leaking, a radiator shop could possibly repair it if you yank it out. My pipe was so bad, when I went to a highly recommended rad shop to get it repaired, the guy came back out 30 minutes later and handed the pipe back and said "sorry."

I've already got it out. It's a radiator shop now. The pipes weren't leaking on mine it was the core itself.
I was thinking about making up the difference between double row and single row. Didn't know if the pipes come out of the firewall in the same place though.

Core itself leaking. Pipes looked good to me.

20211116_152251.jpg

There is also a 1996-1997 iteration as well. So 4 different PNs
Thank you for that. I was unaware that 96-97 was different.

Is there a manufacturing changeover date? Mine is a 96, made 08/95. I want to be prepared for that day.

Is there anything we can do to prevent the failure of our heater cores?

All I can think of is a yearly coolant flush/exchange...

Is there anything we can do to prevent the failure of our heater cores?

All I can think of is a yearly coolant flush/exchange...
And keeping the heater box clean. Keep out the grass/leaves/debris out of the cowl vents and landing in the box to cause corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom