heater core leak vs. AC drain issue vs. windshield leak vs. rain gutter drains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i had an issue with a moist carpet under my carpet mats. i was convinced at one point it was the squeeze type water bottle i have laying around sometimes and i guess i was hoping for a more methodical way to tackle it (or at least understand the issues better).
i also do have a nice little crack in the wi shield that i knew i would have to tackle eventually and it seems like it is propagating down to the gasket but i was hoping to get to the bottom of the issue before i go for a windshield replacement because i thought i took it to the car wash and sprayed everywhere i could think of and didn't find anything when it was dry.
the truck does leave a nice big puddle when the AC runs under the car but i admit to not putting my eyeballs on the evaporator core drain just yet.
i've also reamed the gutter drains and they drain through to the ground.
anyone got any tips?
does a heater core only leak when the heat is on? or does it also leak when you run the vehicle hard? also i assume it should be easy to know if it is coolant i the carpet because it smells and tastes sweet (using the green coolant).
i'm also chasing an always empty overflow jug but i had thought i had tackled that with a rear heater bypass. but it's still always empty.
so i am going to go in and check all the hoses to overflow jug (radiator is always full but i may need to do the radiator eventually since i do see a small spot or two of residue on the radiator).
also, does an AC evaporator core only leak when the AC is on?
i guess i am hoping for a little intel so i can try and be more methodical about chasing this.
THANKS 🙏🏿 for any tips.

Subscribed. I was doing some sound proofing today and found the carpet to be moist, in the words of a certain prime minister. A well respected member here suggested I lick it, which, while generally a good idea to discern coolant vs rainwater, is a bit iffy when you’re dealing with the equivalent of a wet dog. I actually built up some courage to do it but it actually tasted like a wet dog, which, besides being a useless testing tactic, left me with a very unpleasant - and undiscernable - taste in my mouth.

So I am currently left a) wondering how I diagnose my moistness, and b) curious how you will. FWIW I’m replacing my windshield weatherstripping soon, so we will see if the wet dog will stop.

Subscribed. I was doing some sound proofing today and found the carpet to be moist, in the words of a certain prime minister. A well respected member here suggested I lick it, which, while generally a good idea to discern coolant vs rainwater, is a bit iffy when you’re dealing with the equivalent of a wet dog. I actually built up some courage to do it but it actually tasted like a wet dog, which, besides being a useless testing tactic, left me with a very unpleasant - and undiscernable - taste in my mouth.

So I am currently left a) wondering how I diagnose my moistness, and b) curious how you will. FWIW I’m replacing my windshield weatherstripping soon, so we will see if the wet dog will stop.
...but was it a SWEET wet dog?

i had an issue with a moist carpet under my carpet mats. i was convinced at one point it was the squeeze type water bottle i have laying around sometimes and i guess i was hoping for a more methodical way to tackle it (or at least understand the issues better).
i also do have a nice little crack in the wi shield that i knew i would have to tackle eventually and it seems like it is propagating down to the gasket but i was hoping to get to the bottom of the issue before i go for a windshield replacement because i thought i took it to the car wash and sprayed everywhere i could think of and didn't find anything when it was dry.
the truck does leave a nice big puddle when the AC runs under the car but i admit to not putting my eyeballs on the evaporator core drain just yet.
i've also reamed the gutter drains and they drain through to the ground.
anyone got any tips?
does a heater core only leak when the heat is on? or does it also leak when you run the vehicle hard? also i assume it should be easy to know if it is coolant i the carpet because it smells and tastes sweet (using the green coolant).
i'm also chasing an always empty overflow jug but i had thought i had tackled that with a rear heater bypass. but it's still always empty.
so i am going to go in and check all the hoses to overflow jug (radiator is always full but i may need to do the radiator eventually since i do see a small spot or two of residue on the radiator).
also, does an AC evaporator core only leak when the AC is on?
i guess i am hoping for a little intel so i can try and be more methodical about chasing this.
THANKS 🙏🏿 for any tips.
Isn't this the same post from the 14th?
You should combine them rather than start a new one, we were trying to diagnos the issues, but you never responded to the questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom