Heater/Coolant Hose Next to the PHH has a pin hole leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Cruiser developed an intermitant coolant leak recently that has gotten progressively worse. I replaced the PHH 3 years ago with the blue silicon stuff, but based on the proximity of the leak I assumed a clamp had loosened on the PHH so I went in and put a quarter turn on each end. Wasnt fun. Brought back bad memories.

I started the truck up and after about 30 seconds I noticed coolant. THe PHH was dry. However, next to it to the left is another heater/coolant hose that has a pin hole leak on the top of the hose near the block. Its is almost, but not quite as inaccessable as the PHH is. It comes out the block the turns upward under the intake plenum. From there I don't know where it heads.

Any idea which hose this is and where the other end goes? Do I need to get a factory hose or can I run some standard half inch (I assume that's the size) heater hose?

If it's coming out of the head it is a throttle body bypass hose. 16261-66040.

Feeds the throttle body take off throttle body then pull hose from body and then pull below you could use generic hose or use hose Dan listed, it's not too bad too change

There are no water hoses connected to the 1FZ engine block.

Thanks- I will take a look by the throttle body. How long does this typically take. I was thinking about farming this out to my indie.

under an hour usually. Have you eliminated the two heater hoses that connect to the metal pipe behind the valve cover?

Ok, maybe bad terminology. It comes out the side of the engine directly below the intake and left of the PHH travels up. I assume I will need to take the throttle body apart to reach it?

Forward of the PHH ad half the diameter? if so that is the throttle body hose mentioned above.

I did not, but I was able to visually see the coolant squiting upward near the fitting. By manipulaing the hose, I was able to control the strengh of the stream.

Does anyone know of a "how to" for this particular hose?

I changed one out recently out on a 97. I only removed the driver's tire and the inner fender rubbers. I honestly didn't think it could be done without removing the intake and lots of parts. It is doable if your mindset is that it can be done. LED lights, a mirror and long skinny arms and fingers help. Took me about an hour to complain about how the heck could this be done. Then took me about another hour to actually do the work. I also picked up a generic hose at a local parts store.

Remove throttle body disconnect hose, then pull from bottom, reconnect bottom then fish up to the throttle body going through the intake gap, remove tire and any skirts in the way. Or tie piece line to end of the hose and lower from throttle body down to where it connects. Pretty easy I havedone it in under hr

is it a 1/2 hose like the PHH?

The PHH and the rest of the front heater hoses are 16mm, a teensy bit over 5/8. The rear heater hoses are 13mm.

Does this hose (the bypass hose) have fluid circulating all the time or just until the truck reaches operating temperature? The reason I am asking is this leak is intermittent, yet I saw coolant squirting out on start-up.

Coolant is circulating all the time.

My indie quoted me about $100 if I provide the part and coolant. I might take him up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom