Heater control valve, reversible ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, maybe a stupid question and I haven’t quite thought this through yet but is the heater control valve reversible meaning can it flow coolant in either direction ?

I wanna reroute my heater hoses, after I deleted the rear heater, and in my situation, with the V8, the hoses wanna be reversed ?

It seems like it should work since the valve is just a ‘gate’ and doesn’t care which way it’s flowing ? After looking again, I guess maybe the valve is designed in a certain way so that it stops flow better in one direction vs another ?

Anyone know, thanks in advance !!

I wouldn't reverse it if you don't have to. I just installed a new one and if I remember correctly it doesn't open all the way when put in the fully open position. I believe it is designed to be installed one way because there is a flow direction arrow on the valve. You also have to consider the cable for the thermostat control that connects in the dash. If you reverse it I would think that it would reverse that as well... your heat would be on the blue side of the control on the dash and AC cooling would be on the red side. I can't speak for the V8 so others will have to chime in on that. I would think there is a way to do this without having to reverse it. Just my thoughts, could be wrong though.

OK, did a bit more digging, after getting up close and personal with my heater valve, and there is indeed a flow arrow on the unit so scratch that great idea I had.

Oh well, solved my issue, just not as tidy as I had hoped....

Thanks for the help !

Universal heater valves are designed to be mounted in different directions depending on the vehicle they’re being installed to. So that is one option.

I believe the late 90s-early 00s Camry has a valve which is the reverse of ours, so that’s another possibility.

EDIT: It may have been a Honda or something with the reverse direction. I honestly, don’t remember. But the four seasons part number is 74780

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom