Heater control/ no heat front or rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been chasing my heater gremlin for the last few months. I have replaced the valve under the hood, left the control detached with the valve wide open and still no heat front or back. It feels like it is only turned up about 1/5th of the way when I move it all the way to the right/hot. Today I took the entire thing apart and sprayed it all down with electrical contact cleaner. I ran out of time so I haven't put it back together but I have some concerns with the control cable and whatever is going on behind the radio because I cannot pull the cable out or push it in even with pliars. Attached are some pics of my progress. If someone could tell me where I should go from here with getting the cable loose and the mixer working I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks

20200227_142615.jpg

20200227_141811.jpg

20200227_141815.jpg

when the cable is disconnected and you manually move the valve you get heat just fine right?

i can see mine move fully open and close when I am moving the slider and have the hood up.

this isn't an issue of an air pocket in the coolant is it?

when the cable is disconnected and you manually move the valve you get heat just fine right?

i can see mine move fully open and close when I am moving the slider and have the hood up.

I do not get any heat ever. When i got the rig it had a rodent that had made a home in the fan which I have replaced because it ended up stripping the fan and melting the plastic fan mount. But i still had heat in the rear and with the recirc off it would still heat up. Now it just blasts cold air all the time. I did a heater core and coolant flush last summer and it worked just fine after that. However there has always been a horrendous flapping sound from behind the radio that directly corresponded with where the temp slider was positioned. eg At cool (fully left) it did not make any noise but as you slide the control to the right (hot) the cadence would increase. and the clapping would get louder and faster.
At the end of the summer I put a new thermostat in as I had been running it without one for a month or so. It was a napa part that i just replaced with an oem one. At the same time i installed an amp and sub so I had the deck out. The heater problem manifested at the same time I had the stereo out.

I really do think that something happened behind the stereo because the flapping cadence is about 2/5 of where it use to be at max heat. I have used an ir thermometer to read all the hoses and they all appear to be within +/- a few degrees as if they are getting water moving through them as well as my temp sits right in the middle and reads between 180-200 with my obd2 scan tool. I have one that connects to my phone and I used it the other day to graph the temp change over the course of around a 2 hour drive, 1 hour of which was idling because I got stuck. But it has an aftermarket mishimoto aluminum radiator that works very well.

Thanks for any help

I do not think it is an air pocket, as I have parked it in idle with the heater on full blast radiator cap off with the front tires about 2 feet higher than the rear. I could do either side higher now that the snow is gone from my yard if you think i should. But I had both wheels in front about 2 feet higher than the rear.

It is not an auto climate control model. Should of said that in the beginning.
I think it may be the blend door actuator. But I know for sure the cable is frozen in the sheeth. Would that be connected to the blend door? And if it is disconnected from the valve in the front under the hood, would it also not work the blend door?
Also, does the rear heater only blow hot air regardless of where the position of the slider is? Because that was the case for me when I first got the vehicle. It only blew hot air no matter where I had the temp control slider. I can't seem to find any pics that show where the blend door is or how to deal with it.
I have also heard there is a Air conditioning controller somewhere to the left of the fuse box or possibly to the left of the stereo, I am not sure as the diagram I have seen isn't clear. And this controller or whatever it is, may be the culprit. I am chasing them all..... One at a time..
This forum has been my savior.
Thanks

I have had mine apart but didn't make a mental note of that because Mine hasn't caused any issues. There is a thread (very recent) about replacing a heater core. You need to find that person and ask them as they posted a picture showing the entire dash torn apart. I am sure they will have seen it.

I think this is the one... Heater Core Replacement-Pictures and How To

I have had mine apart but didn't make a mental note of that because Mine hasn't caused any issues. There is a thread (very recent) about replacing a heater core. You need to find that person and ask them as they posted a picture showing the entire dash torn apart. I am sure they will have seen it.

I think this is the one... Heater Core Replacement-Pictures and How To
My man! Thank you. Again!

old one:

new one:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom