Heater blowing cold air after flushing coolant. Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
I need a bit of help. Yesterday and today I emptied the coolant and replaced with distilled water. After the 3rd time of replacing with distilled water, the heater was blowing cold air. So clearly I missed a step or blew a fuse or similar. Did I not burp correctly?

The engine temp never went over halfway. I'm hoping this is an easy fix.

Solutions?

Oh, should I replace the thermostat while I'm doing this? My 2008 LC has 225k+ miles and I bought it about 3 months ago. The guy who had it before serviced it but I don't have the detailed records. That guy bought it as a dealer demo in 2009.

I'd do thermostat while you have the system drained, personally.

When I drained/flushed/filled coolant my front heater had no issues, but the back refused to blow cold. Clearly air trapped in the high points of the system. Some spirited driving (holding higher RPMs with manual shift mode) with both front and rear set to all the way hot (to open any valves in the system) got the air burped and heat returned to the back. Has worked great since.

@bloc Thank you very much! Before I ended my day it made more sense for me to change the thermostat while I'm in this project, especially since I have a cross-country trip approaching in a few weeks. I'm all for spirited driving! I rarely do it in the LC to save gas but now I can tell my wife I have permission! :rofl: Thanks for the advice.

Some spirited driving (holding higher RPMs with manual shift mode)...

"Well officer, I'm just bleeding the air out of my recently flushed cooling system, honest! Please don't give me that ticket!"

:rofl:

"Well officer, I'm just bleeding the air out of my recently flushed cooling system, honest! Please don't give me that ticket!"

:rofl:

Officer: "It was quite a challenge to catch you with all the mud holes, cow pastures, and through the woods. If my buddy in the helicopter had not shown up, there would be no way! Hey, can you give me a ride back to the stream? Not the second one but the third one - it's got the big rocks in it. My unit is stuck in the middle of it. If would be most appreciated if you could pull out my Ford Explorer."

show this thread and its valid proof right? should hold up in court

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom