Heater/Blower Ductwork (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm asking about the triangle shaped ducting that goes from the blower to the heater. I have the main piece and the thin sleeve that apparently is supposed to keep it in place but the duct is concave so the moving air never really get to the core. Is there a piece missing that helps it hold it's shape? Any suggestions to make this work now that Spring is almost here?

TIA!

the later heaters had only an inch or so gap between the heater and the duct so the short rubber connector really couldnt collapse enough to make it restrict airflow too much.

On the non OEM a/c ducts, I have seen them collapse a bit, so mayb get a hairdryer or heat gun and warm it up enough to reshape it so its got flat sides to the triangle. maybe glue some paint sticks on the inside of the plastic duct to keep it from collapsing once you get it reshaped.

pic of the heater boot in my '73
oemacduct.JPG

I took a thin sheet of copper about 3X8 inches and pop-riveted it in to hold the plastics triangular shape and repair where it was split.....will try to get pix out this evening;

Lou

Howdy! Years ago I found some white air duct similar to OEM and used it in my Piggy, but I did not use the elbow fittings, I just hose clamped them on. Worked OK, but my parking brake lever knocked a hole in the DS tube. I cut it in 1/2 then slipped in a short piece of PVC tubing where the brake hits it. Ugly, but effective. Long time ago a got an industrial sample of some air duct that was semi-rigid. It kind of accordianed so you could shape it for the corners. I lost that damn sample before I could ever order the right size. Anybody seen this stuff? John

Long time ago a got an industrial sample of some air duct that was semi-rigid. It kind of accordianed so you could shape it for the corners. I lost that damn sample before I could ever order the right size. Anybody seen this stuff? John

John are you thinking of this or are you thinking of grey fabric type duct with a steel spiral?

The grey fabric is available from an HVAC supplier but I have not seen it in the small diameters needed for the '55. This, which is what I used, is from an industrial hose supplier.
vent1.JPG

Howdy! No, the stuff I had was like soft plastic skin over hard (maybe steel) rings. It was like a flexable soda straw. If you bent it, then it stayed in that position, but you could change it if you wanted to. I had a 1" sample that was about 10" long when it was pulled out straight, but when totally compressed, it was about 2 or 3" long. Each little segment would "pop" open or closed when it was bent, pulled, or pushed. Now I'm going to have to start reading all my junk mail at work to see if I can find it. John

this is the way I solved the problem of the split plastic duct that was concave allowing air to spill;
pic # 1 duct with split and concavity
pic # 2 duct with copper patch pop riveted in place.outside view
pic # 3 duct with inner copper patch pop riveted in place inside view; sandwiching the split plastic 'tween two layers of copper sheeting bending them and restoring triangular shape!
the duct tape??.....sharp copper sheeting can cause a cut or two; ask me how i know!:crybaby:

Lou
IMG_1748heater duct.jpg
IMG_2134 heater duct with repair patch.jpg
IMG_2136 heater duct with patch inner view.jpg

:wrench:as to the duct hoses; got mine from JC Whitney <heater duct hoses>.........have seen them at the local auto zones but not in 2 1/2 inches; yes, I know the ID is 2 inches but it is hell trying to get the 2 1/4 ID duct hoses in place and am tired of hitting my knuckles over and over so went with 2 1/2 inch with 2 3/4 inch hose clamps:banana:
pic 1 old and new side by side
pic 2 lower PS side duct clamped inplace
pic 3 upper PS side duct clamped in place
hope this helps:cheers:

Lou
IMG_2044 old duct and new.jpg
IMG_2040 lower PS duct in place w clamp.jpg
IMG_2042 upper PS duct in place w clamp.jpg

maybe glue some paint sticks on the inside of the plastic duct to keep it from collapsing once you get it reshaped.

Brett, the paint sticks worked like a charm. Finally got to it yesterday and can't say how nice it is to have heat, thanks!

:cheers:

Brett/Red cruiser; can you post please pix of the paint stick trick?; TIA......BTW the copper sheeting is still working well .........ghetto rigged but it is pretty well hid :)

Lou

Sorry Lou, I installed mine w/o taking a pic. I just cut the sticks the correct length and forced them inside the duct to recover the original shape removing the concave sides. Once installed it's a triangle again instead of collapsed.

Chris, thanks for the follow-up; tried to do the same with the copper sheet, make the duct hold it shape

Howdy! No, the stuff I had was like soft plastic skin over hard (maybe steel) rings. It was like a flexable soda straw. If you bent it, then it stayed in that position, but you could change it if you wanted to. I had a 1" sample that was about 10" long when it was pulled out straight, but when totally compressed, it was about 2 or 3" long. Each little segment would "pop" open or closed when it was bent, pulled, or pushed. Now I'm going to have to start reading all my junk mail at work to see if I can find it. John
Howdy! Duh, I found it.. Well, my sweety found it. Anyway, this stuff is called Tiger Duct, Extendo-Duct Series. It is polypropolyne/wire reinforced. Available in 1/2 inch incriments on the ID. Go to the website: <www.kuriyama.com> for info. I sent in an industrial reader service card a couple of years ago, and they sent me a spec sheet and a sample of the 1.5 inch stuff. You could probably use formed sections of radiator/heater hose to fit over the end of this stuff and the fittings on the heater box and ducts. I have not ordered any yet, as my last bandaid job is still holding up. John

P.S. I just went to the site to see if it is still valid and it is. Check it out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom