Heated Seats - Normal Operation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dubdub20003

SILVER Star
Threads
Say, could someone tell me how their heated seats work? Are they always on when you flip the switch on or do they heat up on some timed or measured heat level, like auto on the HVAC system? I ask, as you can imagine, because mine are more the latter… but even that is inconsistent. If that were really the case, you’d expect them to always come on strong when first in the vehicle, but then taper off… but lately it seems mine are a lot more erratic than that. The only reason I thought it was normal behavior to come one and off is because it does it with both front seats, so initially ruled out a connection, switch, or wiring issue.

Your insights are appreciated…. Here’s to better heated butts in 2023!

I feel like it takes mine a few minutes to "warm up" in my 05...then my a$$ gets sweaty and I turn it off. To be honest I don't know if I've ever used like, the LO feature on our seats though...i typically just cut it on HI until I'm toasty.

I feel like it takes mine a few minutes to "warm up" in my 05...then my a$$ gets sweaty and I turn it off. To be honest I don't know if I've ever used like, the LO feature on our seats though...i typically just cut it on HI until I'm toasty.
Thanks. Speaks to mine not working correctly. Maybe it is only a switch connection issue.

Mine do that. It seems like it is on a cycle but not sure if that is normal operation.

I have a 30 min drive taking kids to school and back home each morning and I’ve noticed it being hot, warm, and hot again like it is cycling.

Aaaaarrrrgh. Back to conundrum… will wait for some more to break the tie!

Anyone else?

The Land Cruiser is my wife’s daily, so I don’t really use the heated seats in that often but I feel like all the Volkswagens I have had over the last couple years act like Bobcatag2006 was saying where they get hot and then taper off and then get hot again. I have neck and back problems so I will actually turn my seat off and then back on again. Could all be in my head but I don’t think so.

Not sure if that helps lol

Mine would cycle... until the upholstery shop that recovered the seats did something, now they dont work at all

Anyone else?
When I replaced my leather the original seat heater elements were in a pretty poor state, at least on the bottom. The seat back was still durable and in good shape The side bolsters have a separate element with a little teeny tiny wire connecting them to the main pad. Mine was frayed, I soldered and ghetto rigged it up. The pad was sort of like melting into the foam.

My driver seat warms up pretty good/quick on high and low. Passenger takes a little longer but it's just worn out.

I am not positive but I believe they come on and stay on , if I keep mine on high it's pretty much hot full time. Maybe it has something turning it on and off within the switch but idk.
Apparently I didn't really take any pictures of the bottom part of the heater, whoops. You can see in the second pic how brown and burnt the foam is. This job was a pain in the ass, camera didn't come out much.
1673449074956.png
1673449013765.png

According to the wiring diagram the seat heating elements are powered directly from the fuse through the switch, either on HI or LO. There is no secret smarts that cycle the power. If the heat is actually cycling (not just by your ‘seat of the pants’ sensor) then there’s likely a fault in the element that opens when hot.

When the seat heaters are turned ON they stay on in my 99. There is absolutely no cycling, just sweat inducing heat.

My 99 LX seats cycle. Both front seats same story, switch it on HI and they warm up very quickly, both bottom and back. They stay hot for a while then taper off for a period of time, then get hot again. I always figured there was some sort of timer circuit or temp sensor to prevent them from overheating and burning themselves out. Original upholstery still and not messed with. Maybe that is a common fault that develops over time, but if so mine are very consistent.

I was just about to thank for clarity until I got to this last one. I do like the validation based on the wiring. There is not, or does not appear to be other sensors involved... but still would have liked unanimous agreement on this question!

My 2006 seat heaters definitely cycle. My girlfriend is always turning it off and on again hoping that it will go back to full power. I don't think it works, but she tries.

It's not erratic though. It comes on full blast then starts cycling.

I was just about to thank for clarity until I got to this last one. I do like the validation based on the wiring. There is not, or does not appear to be other sensors involved... but still would have liked unanimous agreement on this question!
Well, the wiring diagram I have is for my ‘98 model year. It’s possible that ‘99 & newer have computerized butt-o-matic autocycle fancyness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom