Heat shield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Hello all!

My spare tire is about a 1/2" from my exhaust the OP fitted. I will check later how hot it gets there and for now spare is in the back seat. I have deflated tire to make it as small as possible, next step would be strap it to deform the tire to keep it away from exhaust, but that also is not ideal and could kink the tire over time. I only rotate once a year since this is not my DD and only does around 3K miles annually.

Has anyone any experience with heat shields/wraps that can fit directly to exhaust? Google shows me a lot of results, but I trust the experiences on here more than the manufacturers claims. I have read tires can take a high temperature, but I am not comfortable with the tire resting next to this heat source. I would only shield around 6-12" of the exhaust

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: DKW
Thermotec makes blanket-style wraps that work well and are sold on Amazon.
Thanks, have you tried this on an exhaust by chance, curious to see what Temps would lower to

Thanks, have you tried this on an exhaust by chance, curious to see what Temps would lower to

I had one under the area of my passenger floorboard. It made a noticeable difference. I took it off recently to do some underbody spraying and am going to get another one. It should work well for your application.

Another option would be to take the rear section off and have a shop mandrel bend the section away from the tire.

I had one under the area of my passenger floorboard. It made a noticeable difference. I took it off recently to do some underbody spraying and am going to get another one. It should work well for your application.

Another option would be to take the rear section off and have a shop mandrel bend the section away from the tire.
Will give it a go. Modifying exhaust is next option, but in my case I think they would need to add a section so trying shield first. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom