Heat Riser shaft failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'79 2F engine
Original manifolds
Rochester carb (... I know)

Noticed a lot of exhaust gasses coming from the manifold after a new exhaust was installed . I did some looking around and saw that there is a shaft that goes right through the exhaust manifold that was loose. Found out later that it is the heat riser shaft. Tried to tighten it and snaped it right off (wasn't hard to to, it broke easily). :slap: :doh:
So now I have an issue. I filled the hole with some threaded rod through the manifold until I had time to take it apart. I looked at getting replacement parts and it seems like they are not cheaply available (if available at all). So what now?

Should I have a plate welded in (or cover the opening somehow) when I have it off to keep it shut off completely? Should I take the parts out and leave it open to the bottom of the carb? Any other alternatives? I plan on replacing the head soon as I have another one ready to go. I only want to have it apart once.

all comments welcome

I think you are going to appreciate the heatriser if you get mech cold weather. Your bolt trick sounds like it ought to work until you tear the head off. Be looking for the parts or a new(er) exhaust manifold for when you have the engine apart. A header and fluid heatriser is also an option.
GL
Ed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom