Heat Riser Repairable?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, this is hard to describe, but my 78 FJ40 is leaking exhaust from one end of the heat riser shaft. I think it is the heat riser bushing that faces the firewall is worn out or missing. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks,
Jim

:-\

I have 2 Cruisers that leak from the same exact spot, not bad enough to fix, you mustI believe) take off the carb and exhaust pipe to fix, can't just pull the bushing from the outside and replace. I have been tempted to try some high temp silicone or something to plug the leak up.....but havn't yet

a bigger and just as common leak is the EGR cooler pipe gasket/flange, it's also a PITA to replace but usally this is a much bigger leak. Take a piece of hose, hold one end to your ear and poke the other end around listening for leaks.

John H

Thanks John,
I tried that stethescope listen and that was the only leak (so far). If you were to use that high temp sealant, would that mess up the operation of the shaft/butterfly valve in the heat riser? I was also tempted to do this or have it welded. I got the part name/number from the toyota dealer, but would rather just plug it up instead of taking all that stuff off! While I'm at it, I'll check for leaks around the EGR cooler pipe, too.

Thanks
Jim R

Like I said I havn't tried to seal mine, but the bushing doesn't move, the shaft moves inside the bushing so sealing or welding shouldn't effect the movement

check the EGR gasket from under the cruiser, it's easier to see/listen too, do it when it's cold as the leaks tend to get quiteter when warm.......and you won't burn your self on the hot exhaust.

John H

Okay, thanks again for the help. I'll check it out and maybe try the high temp sealant. Want me to let you know if the sealant works and hold up?

Jim R

Yes please let me know if it works, I have heard it done before.

John

Will do...
Thanks again John

Jim

Here's a picture...(I hope)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom