Heat Riser Kit Install Advice???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. Just got a heat riser kit from JT Outfitters, it only took 10 days and I live in East Tennessee (1 day UPS delivery). This is the third part I have ordered from them in a month, I guess I like punishment. They have nothing in stock, so if you order something they have to order it then send it to you, they make more money that way I guess. The guy lied to me twice saying it was sent, then the third time told me it was on back order. Never again will I call them.

Anyway, my heat riser kit has no instructions. I installed one about 10 years ago on a FJ40 from Man-A-Fre, they were kind enough to include some notes on installation but I no longer have them. Anyone got any advice? Where are the best places to intall the hoses? 1978 FJ40, no emissions, Weber and headers. Thanks

I ran off the head to the heat riser and from the heat riser to the heater control valve. I just used a gasket that I made and some gasket sealer on both sides.
Mine was home made out of some 1/2" aluminum drilled and tapped with 1/2" FPT.

GL

Mine works well for Kansas City cold mornings. I also made a "warm air" intake from my header to my 2F aircleaner. That helps, too.

Ed

off topic sorta but..

i have a weber 32/36 on my 40 with headers and i never had a stock carb on it. I'm planning on going back to the stock carb to see how well it works because i have heard poor things about the Weber on an F engine, what would you say in comparison are different and which do you think is "better"... thanks and sorry i couldn't help ya out.

PICS DEGNOL!

I have had a 32/36 on a 76 FJ40 with a 2F, not enough carb for that motor. I also have had the 32/36 on a 69 FJ55 with F motor, made a big difference in performance and gas mileage, but the 69 had the original single barrel that was worn out. I have heard that a 38 mm is to big for the F motor, but I like the power it gives on my 78 FJ40 2F. A lot of people say that the original is the way to go, preferably a nonUSA carb, but the big Weber, if set up right, is trouble free and gives the power. That is my opinion, hope it helps.

First pic is of the heat riser w/o the hoses run yet.
Second is the warm air intake.

Ed:)
FJ40%20PS%20015%5B2%5D.jpg
mods%20009.jpg

Degnol said:
Mine works well for Kansas City cold mornings.

What, KC has cold mornings?

Tomorrow......8* in the AM. May not be Idaho cold, but plenty cool for us flatlanders.;)

Ed

The instructions from MAF say the carb must be removed. Install fittings into plat so hoses will not run near headers. Use teflon on fittings and don't tighten all the way down to bolt heads. Use silicone on both sides of gasket. Put long bolts in from top of intake manifold so threaded section protrudes from bottom. Tighten all to 20 ft. lbs. Run lines as previously posted. reinstall carb. top off fluid and check for leaks. That is pretty much what the MAF instructions say. Good luck. Need to do the same job myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom