Heat question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put the 2 piece Sor headers on the '74 40.I got the whole system from front to back.After getting the headers on,I'm ready to crawl under the truck and start on the pipe,I notice the third header pipe back,is just touching the mini p/s gearbox.Is this going to cause too much heat,and screw up my power steering? TIA.

mountainman said:
I just put the 2 piece Sor headers on the '74 40.I got the whole system from front to back.After getting the headers on,I'm ready to crawl under the truck and start on the pipe,I notice the third header pipe back,is just touching the mini p/s gearbox.Is this going to cause too much heat,and screw up my power steering? TIA.

Yep, it probably will. Later models have a heat shield that bolts to steering boxes of either kind and you can do the same if you can reposition the pipe to give at least 1/2" clearance from the steering box.

Not a bad idea to use a P/S cooler if you don't already but that's not good enough to keep it cool with direct exhaust contact.

I do have a p/s cooler,but I don't think I can move the pipe that much.It's not touching the round part of the gearbox,but the bolts on the right side.

Anybody else had this problem with Sor headers? I really don't want to take it off and put the old 6 to 1 header back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom