Heat insulation for floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My BJ70 does not have AC, so in the summer months the engine/trans heat really builds up thru the centre tunnel. Gets very hot to the touch after a few hours of driving as the original carpet underlay is thin and is more padding rather than insulation. Planning to strip it and put in some heat insullating material like this pictured. Anyoe have better suggestions for materials to use on the floor under the carpet to keep the interior from absorbing all that engine and road heat in summer?

Automotive Heat Shield & Sound Deadener
soundead.jpg

Looks exactly like the same stuff I used to keep the heat in the back half of my Y60. I bought it from a household flooring store and it was being sold as laminate underlay. So far it has done a very good job. I was worried that in our wet climate that the foil on one side would encourage rust and mold. Probably not a concern for you. Nonetheless, it has been fine for over 4 years of cold, hot and in between. It also quieted down the interior of the truck - a plus on any IDI diesel.

Thanks for the confirmation on this material.
There is also a version out there that has foil on BOTH sides.
Do you think that would be better or worse?

I think it would be worse with foil on both sides. In my case, I put the foil side up so it would reflect the heat in the cabin and also so it would not encourage condensation on the metal. It is lightly tacked on with dabs of seam sealer, which is easy to take off if you need to get at wiring.

Along these same lines has anyone used Dynamat (or similar foil and rubber material) or the spray on stuff called Lizard Skin?

Both look good for my BJ that's making me deaf...

Tony

Along these same lines has anyone used Dynamat (or similar foil and rubber material) or the spray on stuff called Lizard Skin?

Both look good for my BJ that's making me deaf...

Tony

Yes, I have Dynamat in all the door and body panels in my BJ. It helps quite a bit with the sound. Did not try it on the floor yet. Perhaps that could go down first before I add the layer of foiled insulation.

source?

What's the name of that covering you plan to use and where can you pick some up?

I have the same problem with my turbo 3B, the floor gets wicked hot.
best
Aaron

i have used hot water heater foil wrap in the past and works very well for reflecting heat as well as deadening the road noise plus it keeps water away from the steel that soaks through the carpet...
just a cheap, easy suggestion.

Have only seen online sources. The original thread post lists one company that sells the product. Here is another below. They just call it "HEATSHIELD." Runs $25 for 4x6 foot piece.

Heatshield Insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom