Heartwarming Search Success Story :-) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
So it's in the 70's today, probably the warmest day since I got my 80 last fall.

Went out to lunch and ran some errands, on the way back my idle was very high - 1100rpm in any gear while stopped, and 1800rpm when in park. I haven't done anything to it, so I got a bit anxious - esp since I'm going wheeling this weekend.

Come back to work, took a whopping 3-5 minutes of my life to search this forum for "high idle", got numerous hits, read a few threads, and decided to try cheap/easy first.

Went outside and played with the thottle cable. Discovered it was very taut at idle. After jiggling it a bit and working the cable forward and back, fired up the 80 and the idle was perfect - just a tick over 600rpm in gear.

So the moral here is, don't post "Real-time help PANIC gotta fix it this second why won't anyone respond in 8 seconds?" until you've searched.
:grinpimp::beer:

Mine was at the other end of the spectrum. Stuck at WOT several times on me!!! Fortunately, we're not "overpowered", and I was able to work it loose before any serious consequences.

Some have had (temporary) luck lubing the cable... I recommend calling CDan and ordering a replacement. Its pretty easy to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom