1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartwarming Search Success Story :-)

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by little_joe, Feb 22, 2007.

1. little_joe

little_joe SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    So it's in the 70's today, probably the warmest day since I got my 80 last fall.

Went out to lunch and ran some errands, on the way back my idle was very high - 1100rpm in any gear while stopped, and 1800rpm when in park. I haven't done anything to it, so I got a bit anxious - esp since I'm going wheeling this weekend.

Come back to work, took a whopping 3-5 minutes of my life to search this forum for "high idle", got numerous hits, read a few threads, and decided to try cheap/easy first.

Went outside and played with the thottle cable. Discovered it was very taut at idle. After jiggling it a bit and working the cable forward and back, fired up the 80 and the idle was perfect - just a tick over 600rpm in gear.

So the moral here is, don't post "Real-time help PANIC gotta fix it this second why won't anyone respond in 8 seconds?" until you've searched.
    :grinpimp::beer:

2. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Glad you found what you needed. Thanks for the story.

3. Hants

Hants

Mine was at the other end of the spectrum. Stuck at WOT several times on me!!! Fortunately, we're not "overpowered", and I was able to work it loose before any serious consequences.

Some have had (temporary) luck lubing the cable... I recommend calling CDan and ordering a replacement. Its pretty easy to replace.